diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 18kPV Gen input will not charge battery

PhilIA

I am attempting to charge my Power Pro battery using a generator, but cannot get the Gen input on my 18kPV to send power to the battery. Connecting the gen to the Grid terminals and selecting micro-grid in the menu does work, I ran it up to 100amps charge current and charged from 55% to 72%. The 18kPV is partially setup, no PV, grid or load wiring is connected. Generator is a Powermate 9400E, a Generac rebrand. 7500 watts/9400 startup.

Until the inverter attempts to charge the battery, I see 243-244 volts, about 64hz and 80-90 watts coming in from the generator, it will power an unloaded inverter. When it tries to send power to the battery, I hear the relay click and a brief strain on the generator, about 400-800 watts going to the battery, then a second later it unloads with a relay click, normal light goes out and warning light comes on. It will try again every minute or so. Not sure if I missed a setting, generator setup options are pretty sparse. Smart load is not selected. Firmware 1312, LCD version 12.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Your generator is making dirty power. You need an inverter generator or a chargeverter

I tried the Grid terminals because I was thinking the same thing. Are the Gen terminals pickier than the Grid terminals?

I was eyeing up the chargeverter already, it seems a better way to implement the generator.

I tried the Grid terminals because I was thinking the same thing. Are the Gen terminals pickier than the Grid terminals?

I was eyeing up the chargeverter already, it seems a better way to implement the generator.
Not sure if they are pickier, but I am confident it is the issue.

I am attempting to charge my Power Pro battery using a generator, but cannot get the Gen input on my 18kPV to send power to the battery. Connecting the gen to the Grid terminals and selecting micro-grid in the menu does work, I ran it up to 100amps charge current and charged from 55% to 72%. The 18kPV is partially setup, no PV, grid or load wiring is connected. Generator is a Powermate 9400E, a Generac rebrand. 7500 watts/9400 startup.

Until the inverter attempts to charge the battery, I see 243-244 volts, about 64hz and 80-90 watts coming in from the generator, it will power an unloaded inverter. When it tries to send power to the battery, I hear the relay click and a brief strain on the generator, about 400-800 watts going to the battery, then a second later it unloads with a relay click, normal light goes out and warning light comes on. It will try again every minute or so. Not sure if I missed a setting, generator setup options are pretty sparse. Smart load is not selected. Firmware 1312, LCD version 12.

Any ideas where to go from here?
Did you have any luck with the the generator set up?
I have roughly the same issue, except I'm using an 7kw inverter generator.
Currently I'm using the Gen inputs.
I get the generator icon to appear on the local LCD - shows 242.9 volts at 60.2 hz and no watts used.
Running the system in Off Grid mode. No supplemental power to critical load panel or battery charging.
Not sure what I'm missing - probably a setting somewhere.

Did you have any luck with the the generator set up?
I have roughly the same issue, except I'm using an 7kw inverter generator.
Currently I'm using the Gen inputs.
I get the generator icon to appear on the local LCD - shows 242.9 volts at 60.2 hz and no watts used.
Running the system in Off Grid mode. No supplemental power to critical load panel or battery charging.
Not sure what I'm missing - probably a setting somewhere.
I gave up on it and bought a chargeverter. The generator didn't like an instantaneous load over 4-5kW so wouldn't be a good choice on the gen terminals anyway. The main reason I even have the PowerPro battery is to run the well pump and furnace in a power outage. Hoping it's the generator and not inverter, but I don't have access to an inverter gen to try.

I am puzzled that it worked fine when connected to the grid input and enabling micro-grid. Wasn't good enough for the gen input but was fine as the "grid"?

The generator was supplying 80-90 watts to the inverter, it was showing watts used on the LCD. I verified it by turning off the battery, there was no other source of power, grid and PV were not connected. The inverter would trip when it tried charging the battery.

If truly off-grid(not just "Off-grid Mode" for zero export) I would try connecting to the grid terminals and selecting micro grid when you need the gen to charge batteries.

I gave up on it and bought a chargeverter. The generator didn't like an instantaneous load over 4-5kW so wouldn't be a good choice on the gen terminals anyway. The main reason I even have the PowerPro battery is to run the well pump and furnace in a power outage. Hoping it's the generator and not inverter, but I don't have access to an inverter gen to try.

I am puzzled that it worked fine when connected to the grid input and enabling micro-grid. Wasn't good enough for the gen input but was fine as the "grid"?

The generator was supplying 80-90 watts to the inverter, it was showing watts used on the LCD. I verified it by turning off the battery, there was no other source of power, grid and PV were not connected. The inverter would trip when it tried charging the battery.

If truly off-grid(not just "Off-grid Mode" for zero export) I would try connecting to the grid terminals and selecting micro grid when you need the gen to charge batteries.
Thanks for the response.
I did tried connecting the gen to the grid terminals and set up micro grid. No dice. Saw good voltage on the LCD - couldn't get it to supply loads or charge the battery.

It's been a bit, but I think I enabled AC Charging to get it to charge when using grid terminals and "micro-grid".

I am also unable to get my generator to charge via the GEN terminals but it will charge via the GRID terminals by checking the “Micro grid” and “AC Charge” settings.

One thing to watch out for is that the default setting is to take exactly 300 seconds before the GRID will start drawing power. Luckily I let it run for a while before giving up and magically it started charging.

So if you’re pulling your hair out, just give it 5 minutes and your generator hooked into the grid terminals will probably start working. You can also change this setting on the second page of the “Advanced” settings under “Reconnect time(S)”. I put mine at 30 seconds.

But now I don’t see any correlation between the “Charge current limit (A)” setting and the actual amps being pulled and the total wattage.

Edit: Just realized the “Charge current limit (A)” setting is related to how many amps the battery will take! So 100 amps in that setting will get my generator putting in around 5,500 watts.

Last edited:
I am also unable to get my generator to charge via the GEN terminals but it will charge via the GRID terminals by checking the “Micro grid” and “AC Charge” settings.

One thing to watch out for is that the default setting is to take exactly 300 seconds before the GRID will start drawing power. Luckily I let it run for a while before giving up and magically it started charging.

So if you’re pulling your hair out, just give it 5 minutes and your generator hooked into the grid terminals will probably start working. You can also change this setting on the second page of the “Advanced” settings under “Reconnect time(S)”. I put mine at 30 seconds.

But now I don’t see any correlation between the “Charge current limit (A)” setting and the actual amps being pulled and the total wattage.

Edit: Just realized the “Charge current limit (A)” setting is related to how many amps the battery will take! So 100 amps in that setting will get my generator putting in around 5,500 watts.
I finally got my issue resolved. One of the SS Tech's that watch the forums sent me a message offering help.
The issue I was having was a setting that I had enabled during commissioning was preventing the inverter from making use of the power available at the generator terminals. At the online monitoring site, I had the "Off Grid" setting enabled. It was my understanding that if I'm not using grid power, this setting had to be enabled. Goes to show that after 8 months of ownership, I still have more to learn about it.

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 5.48.28 AM.png

The Tech also enabled "seamless switch" under the advanced settings and "According to SOC/V" in the charge settings ("AC Charge" was left unchecked) on the inverter LCD.

Side note: Sure wish the online monitoring site and the LCD had the same settings available. Would be nice to go to one place and make adjustments to the programming. Preferably the LCD.

The one thing I've noticed now that it is working, is that if you set the generator Adc setting to say 60 Adc, the inverter will direct that amperage to the battery. Anything left will supply your current loads. If your house loads exceed the remaining capacity in combination with the dedicated power charging the battery exceed the generator output, it will trip the overload on the generator. There is no dynamic "balancing" that takes place with the incoming power.
When I get some time I'm going to try and set the generator up in micro grid mode and determine if the inverter balances the power demands between the battery and the house.

Hope this was of some help to you!

Back