diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 3000 not accepting AC input

uncle.driftwood

Hey all, currently on hold (no hopes of getting an answer) with SS.

I've got a eg4 3000 ehv and occasionally have to charge my batteries up with a generator. I've used a 2000w inverter style for awhile and it works.

Today however, I got code 10 (output power derating) and it quit. Turns out the genny was only outputting around 90v. I go buy a new genny (3500w inverter) and when I hook it up the same way the AC sine symbol just blinks then it clicks and goes off. It is outputting 123v @ 60hz.

Anybody know what gives?

Figured out a solution. The gfci on the genny was tripping when the relay in the inverter cycled. Ran it off the 30a output and it's charging again.

Figured out a solution. The gfci on the genny was tripping when the relay in the inverter cycled. Ran it off the 30a output and it's charging again.
Interesting.

I've needed to fire up a generator a few times over the past few weeks because of clouds and weather... using a little WEN generator... 2200 watt surge/1800 watt continuous. It seemed happy at about 25 amps (1600 watts), and was running at about 116/117 volts. The little 1 gallon tank put 7.8 KW into my system so that's 33 cents a KWh, not the cheapest, but a good option if needed.

However when I plug it into my onboard Onan generator (5500 watts), the EG4 3000 sees it, but then it pops the GFCI inside. I backed it down to 20 amps (1200 watts-ish) with the same result. Debating about wiring in a breaker or switch to bypass the GFCI and charge directly from the generator (since I can up the current as well) but not sure if the inverter will like the Onan.

Back