diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP minimum operational temperature

itech20

I've just installed an EG4 6000XP in an off grid property in Michigan. I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about how I'll deal with cold batteries, which has included thinking about scenarios where the batteries are cold enough to discharge but need to be warmed prior to being charged. With the SOK 48 volt batteries I have, this is the temperature range between -5F and 26F. This is a temperature I am likely to encounter at least a few times a year if I'm able to use the property in the winter.

I'm afraid I only just realized that I may have a separate issue to worry about with the inverter itself. The 6000XP manual identifies a minimum operating temperature of 32F, with an allowable storage temperature of 5F.

Anyone happen to know what I should expect to happen if I try to use the unit below freezing?

The manual highlights error codes for overheating but doesn't show one for a low temperature cutoff.

In general, this would happen upon arrival during the winter, so that I have light and basic power to begin to warm things up with a combination of a wood stove and propane heaters. That is to say, I'm not looking at extended operation below freezing, but I'd benefit from a few hours worth.

My Aims inverter says "working temp -14 to 104f. I can say it works just fine colder than that, but i never ask too much from it immediately after turning it on cold. I normally turn my well on about 30 min after arriving at the cabin, going on 7 years now and nothing bad has happened yet.

I've just installed an EG4 6000XP in an off grid property in Michigan. I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about how I'll deal with cold batteries, which has included thinking about scenarios where the batteries are cold enough to discharge but need to be warmed prior to being charged. With the SOK 48 volt batteries I have, this is the temperature range between -5F and 26F. This is a temperature I am likely to encounter at least a few times a year if I'm able to use the property in the winter.

I'm afraid I only just realized that I may have a separate issue to worry about with the inverter itself. The 6000XP manual identifies a minimum operating temperature of 32F, with an allowable storage temperature of 5F.

Anyone happen to know what I should expect to happen if I try to use the unit below freezing?

The manual highlights error codes for overheating but doesn't show one for a low temperature cutoff.

In general, this would happen upon arrival during the winter, so that I have light and basic power to begin to warm things up with a combination of a wood stove and propane heaters. That is to say, I'm not looking at extended operation below freezing, but I'd benefit from a few hours worth.
You and I posted the same question a day apart. You ever get an answer outside of this forum?

Back