diy solar

diy solar

EG4-6500 system starting 4 ton A/C

EPicTony

Solar Enthusiast
Has anyone used EG4-6500 (split phase) successfully to run whole house A/C ? My 240vac well pump starts and runs just fine.
I'm wondering if it will also do the same for my 4ton A/C unit. I know there are soft start modules for about $400 but I really don't want to spend any more $$$ if I don't have to.

How many HP is the compressor on the AC? Can you test in rush current?

My 6500s are able to start my milling machine with 71A in rush. I put a soft start on it anyway afterwards, but was impressed.

The one item my 6500s don't like is my vacuum sealer. It's only a 120V 15A device but the pump is brutal on in rush amps. It works, but the lights dim momentarily. I'm going to put a soft start on it.

How many HP is the compressor on the AC? Can you test in rush current?

My 6500s are able to start my milling machine with 71A in rush. I put a soft start on it anyway afterwards, but was impressed.

The one item my 6500s don't like is my vacuum sealer. It's only a 120V 15A device but the pump is brutal on in rush amps. It works, but the lights dim momentarily. I'm going to put a soft start on it.
Don't know the HP or the inrush. This spring I'll test the inrush and make a decision on the softstart. Thanks for the info.

Hard start and soft start are too entirely different things.
My pair of SP6548 can start my 3 ton heat pump no problem whereas every other inverter has not managed to do so. It seems sometimes my compressor is stuck maybe on the compression stroke and I've seen it spike to 80 amps momentarily to start it.

This is the same model of soft starter I use on a 4 ton system and it doesn't cost $400. Why stress your inverters, especially since we know HF type are more problematic with inductive loads.

Finally got off my butt and checked it out RLA = 14.7 LRA=77. What do you think ?
Are you sure you have a 4 ton??? What is model number? If you do, it’s a very high efficiency. 77A is more like a 2 ton, 14 seer or 3 ton 18 seer inrush. I do HVAC for a living. Install a soft start kit. MicroAir Easy Start makes some nice ones with BT. I put it on my two non inverter heat pumps. It reduced my inrush from 78A (2 ton) down to around 23A.

Last edited:
Has anyone used EG4-6500 (split phase) successfully to run whole house A/C ? My 240vac well pump starts and runs just fine.
I'm wondering if it will also do the same for my 4ton A/C unit. I know there are soft start modules for about $400 but I really don't want to spend any more $$$ if I don't have to.
I think it's about that inrush current. It's also about how much battery you have available. How many batteries do you have?

My two EG4 inverters were able to start my 3 ton trane heat pump without a soft start, and i ran like that for about two weeks. It worked fine without issue as I recall. I did not like the idea of such a large start up demand, so I purchased and installed a microair soft starter and have been really pleased. My start up amps dropped down to around 22-25 amps. Locked rotor amps was 83 amps, but I measured my startup to be around 70 if I recall correctly. Attached are my heat pump specs if that might be helpful.

If I were to guess, two inverters would start your 4 ton unit by itself, but if you have other loads going at the time it could struggle for a moment. That's my two cents worth

Attachments

• signal-2023-03-24-00-16-30-169.jpg
    signal-2023-03-24-00-16-30-169.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 17
This is the same model of soft starter I use on a 4 ton system and it doesn't cost $400. Why stress your inverters, especially since we know HF type are more problematic with inductive loads.

Just picked one up on ebay for $150 brand new - cheap insurance !

Today, I decided to move the 25 Amp dual pole circuit for my 2.5 Ton AC unit from my grid connected panel to my off-grid panel that's powered by my two EG4 6500s. By moving, I simply cut the 10/2 Romex - (Black went to One Phase, White went to the other phase - no neutral) and ground went to ground. Anyhow, I added a 25 Amp dual pole circuit to my off-grid panel, connected it the same way as it was in my main panel. Once I had everything connected, I flipped the dual pole 60 amp breaker so that the inverters could power the off-grid panel again and let everything boot up. All was well. After that though, I turned on the 25 amp breaker to power the AC unit, and the inverters immediately faulted for some reason. The error code was F52. Anyone have any idea why / what I may have done wrong?

Back