diy solar

diy solar

EMP protection for SOK batteries?

JamesW

Vendor tells me that there is no EMP protection available for SK48V100 SOK batteries. Is there anything to be done that will minimize risk?

Sure would appreciate any advice .....

Have you researched threads here on diysolarforum regarding this? Are you concerned about humans setting one off or the sun putting it to us?

Is there anything to be done that will minimize risk?
Seems like getting a spare BMS and shielding that would be the easiest.

Protecting a battery that is connected to devices/electronics would be extremely difficult to protect. Even if you could protect a battery, it would likely be cost prohibitive, especially when compared to what a spare BMS would cost.

And having a spare BMS on hand is always a good thing anyway.

Have you researched threads here on diysolarforum regarding this? Are you concerned about humans setting one off or the sun putting it to us?

I did a brief search on the forum and with the Duck search engine. No luck on anything yet.

My source of worry is three-fold:

1) US fedgov crosses every red-line they encounter in Ukraine and appears to be trying to start an NBC exchange with Russia.

2) We are in the process of a pole-flip and (my belief) a micro nova. Persuasive people in-the-know say the 12,000 year cycles are the worst and we are at the end of one of those 12K cycles now. It's not a question of "if" it will happen .... the question is "when".

3) My other gear is "EMP hardened" and assuming the protection works -- that makes my battery pack the weak link. A blow out here means no storage.

Seems like getting a spare BMS and shielding that would be the easiest.

Protecting a battery that is connected to devices/electronics would be extremely difficult to protect. Even if you could protect a battery, it would likely be cost prohibitive, especially when compared to what a spare BMS would cost.

And having a spare BMS on hand is always a good thing anyway.

Good idea. Spare BMS are very do-able.

Do you think the physical lithium batteries are immune to an EMP?

I did a brief search on the forum and with the Duck search engine. No luck on anything yet.

My source of worry is three-fold:

1) US fedgov crosses every red-line they encounter in Ukraine and appears to be trying to start an NBC exchange with Russia.

2) We are in the process of a pole-flip and (my belief) a micro nova. Persuasive people in-the-know say the 12,000 year cycles are the worst and we are at the end of one of those 12K cycles now. It's not a question of "if" it will happen .... the question is "when".

3) My other gear is "EMP hardened" and assuming the protection works -- that makes my battery pack the weak link. A blow out here means no storage.
You could always use Lead acid.

Guaranteed to survive zombie apocalypse or Crazy Leaders.

EMP is really only a concern for long wire runs. In a nuke or solar generated EMP event the biggest concern would be the spike in volts/amps from the grid. For grid tied systems the inverter is taking the hit. If you have long runs from your solar panels to the charge controller/inverter then it may see a spike.
EMP is a concern for the electric grid, long haul conductive communication cables and satellites. Everything else has minimal or no exposure to damage.

If the EMP is strong enough to damage equipment with short conductor runs you have a much bigger problem on your hands. The good news is all of your problems will be over shortly after a EMP that large.

I would say the SOK is a good one for this, the all-metal box should be good if on the shelf and not connected. Wire connects over ~3 ft can pick up that pulse wave and bring in a spike to anything, but i think the BMS might have a chance, it's not like a sensitive radio receiver on a long wire antenna... putting some ferrite chokes on the set up always helpful, in a low power smaller system you could run the outside wires through a filter and remove more of the un needed frequency ( everything above DC ) and also bypass spikes to ground with MOV or gas discharge device.
I run a AC line filter on my in and out of the SCC , that's going to help also.

Back