diy solar

diy solar

Enphase is confusing system

Joukahainen

Enphase is quite a confusing system, from a European point of view (sorry). This is presumably due to the diversity of electricity grids. In addition, Enphase's IQ system is modular and there are a lot of components. Some parts are single-phase, some are three-phase.

I have been planning to install solar panels and wanted microinverters mainly for safety. With the Enphase, I have run into problems with the parts list. The problems mainly concern which parts support three phase electricity. Going into this I have mainly looked at the IQ7 system mainly because the IQ8 system is not for sale in Europe.

Which "Gateway" or "Combiner Box" is compatible with IQ7 and three phase electricity?

Is there any substantial difference in the IQ8 system compared to the IQ7, commutation, control or similar? The IQ8 has an "off-grid" (needs an "Enphase Smart Switch") feature but is that the only big feature not in the IQ7?

The smart-grid ready Enphase IQ7 Microinverter series is built on the seventh-generation platform and achieves the
highest efficiency for module-level power electronics. The IQ7 series microinverters are single phase (240V AC)
microinverters designed for single phase residential applications. Each IQ7 series microinverter can be connected to
individual module. IQ7 series microinverters can also be used in 208V small commercial applications with Three Phase
Network Protection Relay (TPNPR).
Enphase IQ 8D microinverter is built on the eighth-generation platform for small commercial solar PV segment. The
IQ 8D microinverter with revolutionary three phase cabling system is designed for grid-tied, three-phase, 208V PV
applications without TPNPR. Each IQ 8D microinverter can be connected to two modules connected in series.

Last edited:
If you have a heat pump you might be interested to know that the inverter/gateway supports the Sunspec protocol. At least for me it would be a nice addition as I can control my geothermal heat pump to run on solar power.

Supported hardware (available for order soon)
IQ Combiner 4(X2-IQ-AM1-240-4)
IQ Combiner 4C(X2-IQ-AM1-240-4C)
IQ Gateway (ENV2-IQ-AM1-240)

Three-phase implementations using IQ7 and an NPR (Neutral Protection Relay) box are NOT IEEE 1547-2018 compliant and there is no plan to make them compliant. This is because it will be replaced by IQ8D and IQ8D Commercial Envoy.

Last edited:
Are you asking for help or just making statements?

Enphase inverters are actually easier for most people because you plug a panel into each micro and then wire in 220 vac...done....you can by their Q-cables and string a bunch of them together.....You can all monitoring but not mandatory.

Are you wanting 3 phase or just confused by it.

I don't think you will be able to run a Geo Thermal unit without the grid trying to use the Day Light Backup option with out a battery.

Are you asking for help or just making statements?
That was the opinion. Help will do... if someone can explain, for example, what are the differences between, Gateway-S and IQ Gayteway. They are supposedly of a different generation.

Enphase inverters are actually easier for most people because you plug a panel into each micro and then wire in 220 vac...done....you can by their Q-cables and string a bunch of them together.....You can all monitoring but not mandatory.

Are you wanting 3 phase or just confused by it.

In Finland, almost all electrical switchboards in detached houses are three-phase.
I don't think you will be able to run a Geo Thermal unit without the grid trying to use the Day Light Backup option with out a battery.

Yes, that is true. But, The Sunspec protocol makes it possible to command a ground source heat pump according to how much excess solar energy has been generated.

Last edited:
DCD38C82-0B2E-42E0-BAD3-A4E8AC0712B7.jpegI recommend visiting university.enphase.com for training and certification. This process should answer all your questions.

View attachment 112252I recommend visiting university.enphase.com for training and certification. This process should answer all your questions.

I have asked Enpahse about training.

"Thank you for your interest in Enphase University. Unfortunately, although you are able access the university using your Enlighten login credentials, at this time there is no training content prepared for the Finland market, and so no content is visible for you. We plan to provide general English language content, available for any installer later this year."

Which "Gateway" or "Combiner Box" is compatible with IQ7 and three phase electricity?
The combiner box is not required for a system to function. The gateway is only required if you want monitoring(I believe) for grid tied only systems.
What are the voltages in Finland? Are they wye or delta?
So, it looks like, IF Finland uses 120/208Y, the commercial IQ Gateway might work. Pair that with a suitable three phase panelboard and you‘re in business.
Is there any substantial difference in the IQ8 system compared to the IQ7, commutation, control or similar? The IQ8 has an "off-grid" (needs an "Enphase Smart Switch") feature but is that the only big feature not in the IQ7?
‘IQ8 Series microinverter systems don’t have any PV output to IQ Battery power capacity ratio limitation.” whereas the IQ7 have specific sizing restrictions when paired with batteries.
IQ8 has a faster internal processor allowing for near instantanious throttling of power output.
IQ8 has variations that support much higher output panels.
The iq8D is a not yet available product designed for commercial applications that allows for two panels to connect to one inverter.

What is it like working with installers there? Have you received any quotes?

Back