diy solar

diy solar

EVE 280Ah Lifepo4

yes; they did say that they are Grade A, with zero cycles. but I would say my expectations are 'realistic'. they might be dinged up. but as long as the capacity is 'close' I'll be happy. With zero cycles even better. Might have a bit of difficulty balancing if not quite matched but expect with typical low drain/load it will be ok. which is why I kind of went overkill about getting so many ah. way more than I need. The price was too good to try this out and see how it goes. $75/each+350 shipping. $950 for 560ah. plus I'm going from 250# of battery to a nice compact 75#. My existing FLA bank is about 425ah. (~200ah usable). I would expect at least 450ah of usable capacity.

It is very tempting, even with $418USD shipping to Canada. I am leery of @Maast's post above regarding receiving cells without terminals or post holes. I definitely don't feel comfortable drilling into a battery!

Oh you can specify that they come with holes - I just went with the slightly less expensive models intended to be welded to a bussbar like for a EV, one of the vendors I was corresponding with did say that these are the largest cells you can buy directly that are A cells, anything larger you find will almost certianly be B cells rejected from the chinese EV market.

just a quick follow up; I ordered these EVE 280ah cells on tuesday. I just got a tracking number (the vendor so far has been great to work with) and they will be here Monday! I will follow up toward the end of next week with photos of the cells and their condition for anyone interested.

good morning; I ordered from the same place as the original poster. billion electronics on alibaba. I have 8 cells coming for $950. Dave...

and if anyone is interested here is the datasheet they gave me. big cells. 3" thick. so a 4S-12v pack will be 12"x 7" x 8" high. it will weigh about 35#.

Attachments

• LF280(3 2V280Ah).pdf
    685.7 KB · Views: 170
After a few individual cycle, each cell is charging and discharging at the same rate :)
What charger or method are you using to test cycle? I've ordered the capacity tester discussed on this forum but haven't picked a charging set up. options are variable DC power supply? Using a ISDT active balancer would take too long. My bank will end up in my boat which has a shorepower charger but for my home lab I'm not certain what I should pick up.

I have a Victron IP65 and a bench top power supply. For draining I have a Kisae 2000W inverter and 1500w space heater. None of it is very fast but it's winter here and I still have a few months.

So you used the bench top power supply to charge individual cells and the victron to charge the cells in series (12V?)

The challenge with these 280ah cells is that I am concerned these AliExpress power supplies won't survive the 22 or so hours of charging at 10A. I would trust the victron charger more... Would you recommend your power supply?

I received my 280ah cells back in January; these are pictures of the final end product. Two 280ah batteries for our 5th wheel.
For each one they use a group 31 battery box, a daly 200a BMS and a ISDT cell monitor. Bus bars are 1" copper. they also have a 14w reptile heater fixed to the underside which I will experiment during low temperatures. 8 Cells was $950. Total cost was about $1300. or about $650 per battery. they will replace my current 300 pound FLA battery bank.

IMG-0212.jpg
IMG-0214.jpg

I received my 280ah cells back in January; these are pictures of the final end product. Two 280ah batteries for our 5th wheel.
For each one they use a group 31 battery box, a daly 200a BMS and a ISDT cell monitor. Bus bars are 1" copper. they also have a 14w reptile heater fixed to the underside which I will experiment during low temperatures. 8 Cells was $950. Total cost was about $1300. or about $650 per battery. they will replace my current 300 pound FLA battery bank.

View attachment 7547
View attachment 7548
That's impressive! When you wire the cell monitor (does it do any active balancing?) Are there leads from each cell's positive to each of the BMS AND the cell monitor or can the BMS and cell monitor share the balance leads somehow? Looks amazing for group 31 footprint -- may need a bit more height to accommodate the terminals.

good morning; the cell monitor does have a passive balance function which you can activate manually. the BMS and cell monitor share the same ring terminals which I soldered together and then crimped. I did buy some active balancer's initially but didn't install them because the cells are grade A and don't need them and for the reasons Will posted that active balancing is ineffective for the most part unless you are on the knee of the voltage curve. the battery boxes have plenty of room with the top on for the terminals. not really a problem.

good morning; the cell monitor does have a passive balance function which you can activate manually. the BMS and cell monitor share the same ring terminals which I soldered together and then crimped. I did buy some active balancer's initially but didn't install them because the cells are grade A and don't need them and for the reasons Will posted that active balancing is ineffective for the most part unless you are on the knee of the voltage curve. the battery boxes have plenty of room with the top on for the terminals. not really a problem.

How are the cells today? I'm thinking of getting one like this, should I go for it?

How are the cells today? I'm thinking of getting one like this, should I go for it?
I think there has been a wide number of people very happy with these cells. I sure am. they are of high quality. was kind of thinking of building another one but am holding off. I think having two for the 5th wheel is plenty for now. (6kw) My two batteries I just charged up via the solar panel a week ago and they are still within 10 or 15mv of each other. the daly BMS also has a balance function built in. but I also used the balancing function in the monitor jus for grins. (something to do while the sun was shining).

I think there has been a wide number of people very happy with these cells. I sure am. they are of high quality. was kind of thinking of building another one but am holding off. I think having two for the 5th wheel is plenty for now. (6kw) My two batteries I just charged up via the solar panel a week ago and they are still within 10 or 15mv of each other. the daly BMS also has a balance function built in. but I also used the balancing function in the monitor jus for grins. (something to do while the sun was shining).

That was super helpful. Glad to see you are enjoying your setup.

That's really amazing information. How can you read those QR codes? I have 8 of the same and trying to figure out if the serial # portion has any info like date of manufacture, grade, etc.

Those cells are made by a big player in china and should be OK.

Make sure they never go under 2.5V though as they fail dramatically if you do let them drop . Notice the terminal you show has aluminium at its bottom . Look at the other terminal which is black is also aluminium but it has copper at its base. The black will test out to be positive and the fawn negative.

Use stainless bolts with a nut and washer . Put nut then washer on bolt screw nut up as far as it will go ,put bolt through the connector and thread into terminal hand tight . Ensure a one or two millimeter gap below the bottom of the bolt. Tighten nut down on washer and connector . A bit elaborate I know but if the bolt is tightened too far down it can pierce the bottom and ruin the cell.

The fluid you hear inside is the electolyte /coolant.If you pierce the cell it can leak or evaporate .
I studied those cells at Uni recently.

Back