diy solar

diy solar

Explosion fears lead San Diego to explore regulating lithium-ion batteries, storage facilities

k490

Solar Enthusiast
Cities regulating battery storage could be a problem with the DIY market. At least before you could get away with claiming it was portable, or off-grid. I'm sure most of these fires are cheap electric scooters, and e-bikes. Cities won't care what kind of lithium it is just hear the word lithium and get triggered.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ting-lithium-ion-batteries-storage-facilities

Goes along with this mis-leading report where in order to create a fire for viewers they overcharge a lithium battery on purpose.

Last edited:

The list is endless

198 cars out of 2.5 million on the road?

But how many gasoline cars spontaneously combust?
And if the numbers are so low, why is that fire departments are issuing special orders and giving recommendations not to park ev's in closed parking/garages?

https://energy5.com/electric-cars-catch-fire-more-often-than-gasoline-cars

170k car catch fire annually. 4000 electric cars these are mostly after crashes not spontaneously.

I bet you gasoline cars dont catch fire spontaneously, but EVs do because each EV battery is a combination of thousands of cells, and if only one cell has a problem for whatever reason (physical damage, manufacturing defect, quality oversight) the entire EV goes up in flames.
Then you get into the problem of an actual EV fire that is extremely toxic and nearly impossible to contain.

Media hype of single stories they don't cover 100k car fires

Play a game. Take a little tiny cell phone LiO battery and emulate puncturing.
Just be sure to do it outdoors.

Now imagine an EV battery that is 1000 times larger.

Or dont

I agree lithium batteries do catch fire the number of spontaneous fires are not high enough to require legislation. How many have caused a fatality, or disfigured someone's body like gasoline does. Lithium fire is hotter but doesn't spray fuel everywhere like gasoline does.

I will agree with you about legislation. That never helps anyone except the cronies.
Also lithium fire is MUCH worse, as it spills fiery sparks all over the place, and what's worse, the amount of toxic pollution that is produced (especially deadly dioxins) is OFF THE SCALE.
While LiO (and especially LFP) techs have their place, putting them in movable things (cars, scooters, etc) is sheer LUNACY

Last edited:
Back