diy solar

diy solar

Fans-cubic feet per minute-watts

Bluedog225

Texas
Bigger is better.

I’m looking into fan efficiency. Learned some good stuff.

I thought some might find this useful.

This is great because I’d like a stupid big ceiling fan for the shop. Big Ass preferred but way out of budget. Fortunately, there are some copy cat giant fans.

Any recs welcome.

FDD60923-C1E8-46AE-9164-EF4E4FAA45E6.jpeg718C1CCB-3131-45D6-B32B-2F08F1040BA5.jpeg

Not sure how big your looking for. But I bought a dc ceiling fan from Home Depot. I think it is 68" in dia. On low it uses about 3 watts. On high I believe around 30 watts. 9 speeds total. From 3000 cfm on low and something like 12500 cfm on high. I verified the low power draw at lower speeds, was to published specs.
I was very impressed with it.
Ed

Thanks. HD seems to have a good selection. The biggest issue I have is many seem to rely on a cheap little remote. Instead of a hard wired switch. Bugs me a bit but I guess I could order two remotes to be safe.

and there a lot with DC motors. Might be fun to find a way to run DC direct.

DC lets you have a lot of speed settings without multiple windings or VFD so it makes sense the ceiling fan market will gradually migrate to DC just as air conditioning is.

This general interplay of blade size and rpm vs efficiency is the same reason wind turbines get bigger and bigger until they run into other problems, or airliner engines get bigger and bigger to the point that they extend the landing gear for underwing clearance etc.

That chart is really cool for offering 'rule of thumb' baselines etc, i would have had to spend a fair amount of time assembling that backdrop if i wanted to know those things and since i probably will make use of it in the future, im going to assume this chart is saving me at least an hour or two of online spec comparisons somewhere down the road. (y):ROFLMAO:

Back