diy solar

diy solar

Flexible panel dangling from roof by the wires!!! (Install fail)

Tomthumb62

Solar Wizard
Learn from our mistake!

We just spent the last two months doing a major remodel on our custom made camp trailer, which included replacing about 90% of the solar system. The last two days were particularly rushed, little sleep and this led to a big mistake because I wasn’t thinking clearly.

On the first road trip out (less than 24 hours after install) one of the flexible panels tore from the roof, leaving only 1 out of the 6 bolts still attached. The panel seems to have survived but time will tell.

The fatal mistake was we used washers that were far too thin between the bolts and the panel. The panels’ metal grommets stretched and tore as did the thin washers. I’m pretty sure that had we used thicker washers this never would’ve happened. The plastic sheeting under the panel for airflow/cooling may have contributed to the problem, but since we lost it, I can’t know for sure.

What also used a new installation method than previously (we reinstalled the original two flexible panels without the plastic insert sheet and with wood screws, solid washers, all stainless steel). We modified the method described by this video:

However, we didn’t use the metal t rails he used, but instead used thick metal plates with 1/4-20 bolt holes T-nuts. The t-nuts went up through holes in the plastic sheet, then through the grommet holes, washers and bolted down with stainless steel 1/4-20 bolts. A strip of Gorilla tape across the front edge of the panel +plastic was installed to reduce lifting during driving (this worked well for over 9000 miles on our original panels that didn’t have the plastic sheet underneath. )

The fix will be much larger washers and lock washers and more Gorilla tape. And glue or industrial Velcro between the plastic sheet and solar panel.

We mounted two panels in this method but only one failed like this. The other one is fine.

Having had heavy nylon cargo straps fail when hauling things on my truck at highway speeds it certainly has impressed on me how vibration can destroy anything that flexes. Hopefully your larger washer approach will fix the issue. You might need to go with a long flat bar stretching over 2 grommets or more.

Having had heavy nylon cargo straps fail when hauling things on my truck at highway speeds it certainly has impressed on me how vibration can destroy anything that flexes. Hopefully your larger washer approach will fix the issue. You might need to go with a long flat bar stretching over 2 grommets or more.
How old were the nylon straps? Ultraviolet is tough on nylon…

The flat bar is a good idea. I think the combo of the 1/4” plastic sheeting and weak washers was the problem. I think also that choosing not to glue or tape or Velcro the plastic sheet to the panel contributed to wind getting into where it caused those bad vibes.

Update: We lost one of the brand new panels, the one that had already mostly torn free. My wife feels really bad about it. She had stopped at a hardware store and bought new washers, lock washers and longer bolts, but hadn't installed them yet. She then ended up with a broken window, checked the temporary fix on the panel that had torn loose and it looked good and so she focused on getting the window fixed. Two hours later she discovers the panel is now gone. She was in the middle of 'nowhere' middle of North Dakota when this happened so little traffic and hopefully no one got hurt. Definitely going for the flat bar approach or something even better when we buy and install a new one.

Bonus: If you want a free brand-new but scuffed up flexible 100W Sunpower panel, look along somewhere just east of Dickinson, ND along I-94. Apparently there was enough force to pull the MC4 connector apart.

She will be fine. Sometimes being on the road isn't as glamorous as it sounds or looks on instagram.
Thanks, Harry. She is quite fine. I told her it's just a panel...can be replaced...we won't be in such a hurry when we do so and it will be cool to see if it can power the fridge + charge the battery on just 300W panels.

Lessons learned:

Rushing can lead to cutting corners or not thinking clearly
Gorilla tape is NOT remotely strong enough to hold down a panel
side winds are a killer for a poorly installed panel

The winds out on the open road can be very strong. 60 - 80 mph gusts, plus driving speed.

Out on I5 here in CA the wind is blowing sideways and even on a minivan it can move the vehicle around.

Add to this the swirl from tucks and features -

Funny story - one time we were driving S on I5 and there was a tumbleweed - the same size as my minivan - blowing down the road - at about the same speed.

You have to think in terms of hurricane force winds up there - not home solar panel kind of mounting.

Back