diy solar

diy solar

Florida homes built to be off grid during storms

Why in the usa most houses are made of timber and wood panels? They get completely destroyed during hurricanes and fires.
I am looking at the prices of bricks and cement and they are very similar to europe, even cheaper in some cases.
I bet you could build a brick house in the usa cheaper than in here, but somehow these wood houses are everywhere.
Anyway is a great thing that people embrace solar power.

Why in the usa most houses are made of timber and wood panels? They get completely destroyed during hurricanes and fires.
I am looking at the prices of bricks and cement and they are very similar to europe, even cheaper in some cases.
I bet you could build a brick house in the usa cheaper than in here, but somehow these wood houses are everywhere.
Bricks and sand foundations I imagine don't mix well. My home is a brick home but I wouldn't think it would do as well in Florida close to the beach compared to the foundations where I live in Alabama.

Just a guess though.

This guy is building an ICF house by himself in upstate NY. It even has concrete floors and a concrete poured roof. He has a quirky side for styling and design (harvesting and making his own kitchen cabinets and countertops), but it's an interesting project to follow:

Last edited:
Mostly it is the cost of labor.
An average home can be built in the 120K range from wood framing, brick framing would require additional labor time, and the construction would be around 300K.

Homes in Florida are now mostly concrete block.

I am building an ICF home in central east coast Florida that can take 250mph wind....so they say !!!
I had the roof trusses made stronger for solar panel load and spray foam insulation which literally glues the whole roof together and onto the walls.
Storm resistant doors and windows, no more putting up hurricane panels for this old goat. No un-necessary penetrations through the roof.
Highly energy efficient and off grid.

Can you put as many solar panels as you want? Or does the government put a limit like in europe?
No limit other than finding where to put them.

California probably has regulations on that though... and probably what gender they affirm to, what shade of blue the cells are, if you have them equipped with covid mask, etc :)

Non Floridians attention: Most persons building in Florida who have money build with solid concrete steel reinforced foundations using a mix of steel girders, poured concrete and steel walls, concrete and steel columns. the trusses may be steel or engineered wood. they may be covered with concrete slabs or heavy steel plates and even cement tiles. Some even use a product call AAC as their concrete. In some locations, building on pier columns is a must. Furthermore, placing all of the mechanicals well above flood level is a must. These homes can be and are buld to 200 to 250 mph wind standards.

However, the average home will be build on a concrete and steel rebar foundation to code with concrete block walls, columns every 8 feet and a roof trusses tied to the walls. Then the roof will have a metal or concrete tile cover. Mechanicals will mostly not be elevated and the homes subject to flooding unless about 22 feet or more above sea level. these homes with proper windows can withstand winds over 150 mph.

However, flooding still wrecks the inside cabinetry, flooring and drywall making a big mess, not to mention personal belongings. And don't forget, Florida is not the "Sunshine State", it is in fact the "Mold State".

That climate is a challenge. Always has been. Add to this higher temperatures for longer, high winds, flooding, droughts and billions in storm damge almost every year and Florida is on it's way to becoming depopulated.

Back