diy solar

diy solar

Free pieces and My plan

pabear89

Have been given a pile of parts, My plan is to have it run shop lights and small tool chargers in my workshop with it.
the list consists of,
Powerbright pw6000-12 inverter
OOYCYOO MPPT pro 100a solar charger controller
8 panels FMPV 120w with tag info of IPmax 6.67a, Vmax 18v, ISC 7.72a Voc21
8 class 24 car batteries

My question is what will be the best way to connect these panels to produce the most charging power?
My thought is tie them in series with single +/- leads back to controller.
They will be laying flat on the shop roof with open sky above, roof has a 2/12 pitch.

Open to all ideas of what to do with this.
Thanks.

Ps. looking at the inverter hook up, it states that both battery terminals are to be hooked up.
Would taking the leads from both battery sets (4 are tied in series) by positive on one end and negative lead on the opposite end be the best way to meet this requirement.

Last edited:
8 class 24 car batteries
Automotive "starter" batteries make poor solar storage devices. Do you have more info on these?
Is the sum of the temp adjusted Voc for you 8 panels below your SCCs max input voltage?

21Voc x 8 = 168V (add fudge factor based on your panel temp coefficient and expected/record low temps in your location)

Have been given a pile of parts, My plan is to have it run shop lights and small tool chargers in my workshop with it.
the list consists of,
Powerbright pw6000-12 inverter
OOYCYOO MPPT pro 100a solar charger controller
8 panels FMPV 120w with tag info of IPmax 6.67a, Vmax 18v, ISC 7.72a Voc21
8 class 24 car batteries
Right so it's quite a good amount of kit you been given , the car batteries aren't perfect for 'deep cycle' application but they'll do your lights just fine.

6kw inverter is BIG ( are you sure it's not a 3kw, with 6kw surge?)

My question is what will be the best way to connect these panels to produce the most charging power?
They will be laying flat on the shop roof with open sky above, roof has a 2/12 pitch.

Open to all ideas of what to do with this.
Thanks.

How you connect the panels depends on the MPPT, we need to know it's max solar input voltage. Maybe find it on the data sheet

Standard acid car battery 850 cranking amp. Not what I would have bought by they are free.
info from controller manual says max pv input is 1300w for the 12v system.
the inverter is PW6000-12, manual says 12000w surge, may never see that with this usage anything that need that much
power will be run off my 12k gen.

the inverter is PW6000-12, manual says 12000w surge, may never see that with this usage anything that need that much

6kw, Big inverter , often means a big idle draw (you can measure with a DC clamp meter), the inverter will burn say 50ws+ just on tick over. 50wh X 24hr = 1.2kwh per day

is this your MPPT ??

I'll be amazed if that inverter can sustain 6000w, it will require cable in the mcm sizes to do so along with one heck of a paralleled battery bank. I'm sure it will be fine for small loads. Do note it's a modified sine wave inverter.
According to the spec sheet (3rd image) the SCC can handle 48VOC for a 12v setup, you'll be severely limited running panels in series. I wouldn't go above 3s 2s with your panels, especially in cold temps.

Edit 2s - my calculator needs a firmware update...

Last edited:
Yes that is the controller.
And yes its a large inverter but just using it for lights while working on stuff and to plug in
the cordless chargers only for the most part.
It has to be better than running a 12k gen for just lights and minor stuff while puttering in the repair shop.

Yes that is the controller.
And yes its a large inverter but just using it for lights while working on stuff and to plug in
the cordless chargers only for the most part.
It has to be better than running a 12k gen for just lights and minoe stuff while puttering in the repair shop.

the limit on that mppt is 48voc @ 12v system

So really you could only have 2 panels in series max, 8 panels would be 2s4p

Screenshot_2023-10-31-13-32-42-084-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

I'll be amazed if that inverter can sustain 6000w, it will require cable in the mcm sizes to do so along with one heck of a paralleled battery bank. I'm sure it will be fine for small loads. Do note it's a modified sine wave inverter.
According to the spec sheet (3rd image) the SCC can handle 48VOC for a 12v setup, you'll be severely limited running panels in series. I wouldn't go above 3s with your panels, especially in cold temps.
Please explain how i hook it up to the controller, it only has One slot for pv panel connections.
May be dumb question but ......

Please explain how i hook it up to the controller, it only has One slot for pv panel connections.
May be dumb question but ......
No dumb questions, it's how we learn.
Make sure you see my edit, 2 in series, not 3 I had mentioned.
Check out the visual in post 11 from @SamG340 for wiring.
Basically keep connecting panels in parallel, feed them to a combiner box then go to the SCC.
If it gets cold where you're at I'd look into the specs of the panel for VOC at cold temps... You could exceed 48v with 2 in series and let out the magic smoke.

Last edited:
I was looking at that post after i responded, but maybe my math is off? 4 panels 120w is 480 yes?
I see the top row neg to the bottom row pos for the connection to controller.

Battery sets are buss bar connected, 4 each so it will be pos front and neg rear on each bank to input of inverter so
each lug has a bank.

I was looking at that post after i responded, but maybe my math is off? 4 panels 120w is 480 yes?
I see the top row neg to the bottom row pos for the connection to controller.

Battery sets are buss bar connected, 4 each so it will be pos front and neg rear on each bank to input of inverter so
each lug has a bank.
Yea, do you see all wires go down to 1 pos & 1 neg in the bottom right corner, those two get wired into your MPPT PV input

Before i forget, my connection from the controller to batteries are to be a swap ends on each bank also.
Using 8ga wire just to confuse things in my old and slipping mind. good idea ?

Back