diy solar

diy solar

Fridge advice and guidance.

that sounds more like a typical use. I can believe that number. 200wh = 0.2kwh per day *365 = 73kwh/ year.

That would be an amazing refrigerator. I take 4 ;)

*they* say their are fridges that .5kwh per day.

My clunky old 12cf sucks down about 2 when switched on then chews up about 1.2-1.4 per day.

Larger fridges are about the same

that sounds more like a typical use. I can believe that number. 200wh = 0.2kwh per day *365 = 73kwh/ year.

That would be an amazing refrigerator. I take 4 ;)

Now I have energy monitoring I'm interested in seeing what the consumption is during the summer, maybe that's why so low. But I haven't noticed any change in my idle consumption of my rv it's always 65-100w with 40 of that being wifi and router alone. I also leave most of my tvs on (I have 8) along with hdmi matrix and chromecast. Stereo uses like 200w idle so that's off but hdmi passthru so must use a bit.

thanks, i know the Europeans always get the good things first. Efficient cars, Heatpumps, Inverter driven motors, now all the great EVs.
Until they make a version which runs in North America it (120V) it will be another 10 years.

There is little emphasize on energy efficiency in parts of North America. Power is cheap here, so people have little reason to care. It only changed the last 2-3 years where inflation hit.

thanks, i know the Europeans always get the good things first. Efficient cars, Heatpumps, Inverter driven motors, now all the great EVs.
Until they make a version which runs in North America it (120V) it will be another 10 years.

There is little emphasize on energy efficiency in parts of North America. Power is cheap here, so people have little reason to care. It only changed the last 2-3 years where inflation hit.
that is about what my 10 CF [283 liters] chest freezer gets when running as a frig. generally running a chest freezer at 40F will use 1/3 the rated kwh/y it would have as a freezer

Looks nice sadly they don't make smaller fridge. I can't seem to find a really efficient/silent around 100l fridge for my build. They all are around E-F rated.
And we don't have that many nice 12v fridge around in europe compared to the US with the nice danfoss compressors. Not that i'm aware of at least. The dometics one seems soso

Nice thanks !
I was looking but couldnt find most likely because it wasnt in my price bracket.

Does anyone tried to convert a 120v/230v fridge to 12v ?
It's most likely not that complicated to just replace one with another 12v compressor like the danfoss ones. Strangely tho the danfoss has its own inverter so not sure whats the idle ?

there are a few videos showing this and doesnt seem too bad.

I've made a decision, going to have the JC Refrigeration upgrade kit installed on my existing absorption fridge. While shutting it off everyday has generally been working good, I've developed another issue where relighting hasn't always worked.

The choices are
- replacement absorption unit
Cost is moderate, but I'm done with the propane absorption fridge. There are way too many problems with the current designs and early failures​
- RV specific 12v fridge
very expensive, and there a lot of negative reviews with infant mortality​
- residential fridge
Cheapest solution, but will require detail fitting work, runs on 120v, and the decor will no longer match​
- compressor upgrade to my existing fridge
Moderate cost, can get 12v system. Cooling not quite as good as RV specific or residential, but much improved over the absorption cooling. Get to keep the decor.​

12v will run off my battery bank. I shouldn't have any major issues, but I won't be getting over 5 days off my battery bank with little to no solar collection

Back