diy solar

diy solar

Fuse Issues-Line Size

KBWaldron

Solar Enthusiast
I'm planning my Solar Array wiring. I'm at the stage where I am identifying parts for purchase. My array will be a 2s4p, so 4 pairs of lines coming into the combiner box. I want to put fuses on each positive line before attaching them to the bus bar. I'll need a 20 amp, 60volt fuse holder according to the specs of the panels. Two issues:
  • 60 volt is hard to find and expensive. Do I need to worry about the voltage that much. Would a 24 volt fuse holder work?
  • I'm going to be putting about 16 amps maximum through each line. The panel wires are AWG 10 which is pretty much par for the course I believe. However the fuse holders I am finding have higher gauge wire, AWG 14. Do I need to worry about those short wires heating up in the combiner box, or voltage drop?

Fuse holders (600V) are about 6$-10$ 10mmx38mm cartridge fuse holders by ferraz shawmut and littlefuse are 30A rated, din mount, and take up to #6 wire. Perfect.

Breakers (150V) can also be used, 12$ din mount or panel mount.

The ratings are important. Dont zorch it up..... if a fuse breaks and is not rated to contain the voltage, it will use all plastic in the enclosure as fuel..... and dont open fuse holders under load!

I'm planning my Solar Array wiring. I'm at the stage where I am identifying parts for purchase. My array will be a 2s4p, so 4 pairs of lines coming into the combiner box. I want to put fuses on each positive line before attaching them to the bus bar. I'll need a 20 amp, 60volt fuse holder according to the specs of the panels. Two issues:
  • 60 volt is hard to find and expensive. Do I need to worry about the voltage that much. Would a 24 volt fuse holder work?
  • I'm going to be putting about 16 amps maximum through each line. The panel wires are AWG 10 which is pretty much par for the course I believe. However the fuse holders I am finding have higher gauge wire, AWG 14. Do I need to worry about those short wires heating up in the combiner box, or voltage drop?
#14 would not be suitable for a 20A fused circuit.

Back