diy solar

diy solar

Ghosted? Another article popped up with example(s).

I try to do my part and educate people on why they should Not Get solar.
My advice to neighbors, friends and random people who ask questions is that if they can’t layout(design) and install their own system with the possible exception of hiring a skilled person to HELP with the install, they need to stay away from solar. It’s not a good idea to have a system you can’t operate and maintain yourself.

My advice to neighbors, friends and random people who ask questions is that if they can’t layout(design) and install their own system with the possible exception of hiring a skilled person to HELP with the install, they need to stay away from solar. It’s not a good idea to have a system you can’t operate and maintain yourself.
Exactly!

Reactions: JRH
If solar power was a car, currently it would be a Model T with a supercharger. The technology is evolving quickly as is some people's understanding of it.

That article is just stirring the pot of uneducated finger pointers...

Screenshot_20240507_145652.jpg
Why would the solar installation company reimburse them for lost production. Im not aware of any industry that would reimburse for lost revenue when a product fails. The meter belongs to the utility company anyways, not the solar installer.

Of course nobody is going to call them, do people think someone somewhere is sitting in front of a screen making sure they're stuff is working?

I think anyone taking on a solar project should expect to be ghosted. Here's what I mean.

My electrician neighbor was exceptionally helpful in replacing an electrical panel in my shop. I sent him a text about my planning on doing a solar project, I've not heard from him since. Call that the first ghosting.

My neighbors are usually very helpful with and curious about the things I do on my property. Once my solar panels started going up, I've not had a single visitor stop by. Second ghosting.

Once my system was installed, the electrician that installed it couldn't get away quickly enough. He made sure I realized that the installation did not include "programming" the inverter/batteries. It was all up to me. Third ghosting.

When things didn't go exactly as planned, tech support was rapidly thrown for a loop when the scripted questions ran out and my problems were beyond their first level capabilities. Escalation to the next level was less than immediate and took many back-and-forth contacts over many days. While technically not a ghosting - they were sincerely trying - sitting in the dark with no power from the inverter, batteries, grid, or backup generator sure felt like I was ghosted.

The point is, just like MajicDiver said, if you're not willing to go it alone, you should avoid doing solar. You WILL be doing it alone at some point - if not every point of the way.

I had to be tenacious in gathering information when problems arose. Troubleshooting was a constant thing - even after things started working. Additional expenses that were not in my original design kept cropping up. (I was REAL popular with my wife for those). I had to keep focused on my original vision and keep slogging forward until I got things like I wanted them. Even now, with everything working like I expected, I'm still waiting on the next problem to arise that I hadn't planned for. This experience has been the most rewarding nightmare I have ever lived!

Would I recommend it to my worst enemy? Probably not. Would I do it all over again? {heavy sigh} Yes. That's just how I'm put together.

My advice would be to stay away from the nationwide solar installers. Chances are they wont be back to your property for anything. Even if they contract with a local-ish electrician, chances are that contract wont exist in 12 months. Stick with a local (within a couple hours) solar company if there is one, or just 100% DIY it.

Why would the solar installation company reimburse them for lost production. Im not aware of any industry that would reimburse for lost revenue when a product fails. The meter belongs to the utility company anyways, not the solar installer.
Depends on which 'meter' malfunctioned. As article implies still getting billed by local Util company, and no mention of electrical company crediting for false billing, so I'll assume this was more of the solar system monitoring system (meter)? in which case, there are plenty of installer/system warranties that cover system production caused by system fault (mine does). In my case, a solar company installed breaker (connecting to AC coupled, new PV sub-panel) melted 4 months after install ... that company is on the hook for lost PV production while system was down

Though my SunPower install went sideways (I'm assuming due to being overloaded 1.5 years ago) I'd still go with the 'single throat to choke' scenario as I did. I'd avoid leases, PPA, etc. A little research show that buying your own system is the best approach financially. A lots of examples over the years of vendors pointing the fingers at other, so a single accountable company makes a lot of sense (or a panel vendor that offers a full system warranty with certified install). At least in terms of making sure the vendor is financially incentivized to 'complete the job', with paying only 40% with system installed, some more after permission to operate, and then wait for final payment until sure EVERYTHING working...
In my case, I've got an AC coupled system that is relatively simple (19 panels and a simple monitoring box with consumption tracking monitors). The downside is the enphase based micro-inverters I have are not supported by enphase, so that could be an issue at some point.. maybe.

I'd love a whole house battery, but with NEM 2.0 and being on a non-curtailment circuit, it makes little financial sense for the time being. [i'm enjoying the research at the moment]. There are plenty of folks that the DIY approach just isn't going to work, and there are system setups that are simpler than other, and have a decent ROI. DIY with a rooftop install is certainly not anything I'd recommend for typical homeowner (and certainly not on 2-story houses with certain roofing material, like concrete spanish s-tiles as is common in SoCal).
Battery prices have come down significantly in recent years (and gotten much safer moving away from Li-Ion), what still needs to come down (hopefully) is hybrid inverters. And I expect some technical maturity in both batteries and inverters in coming years that will hopefully require less geekiness to setup and maintain (said as a proud geek)

I've heard horror stories from others (and mine wasn't good)... but it is working and it makes lots of financial sense. I intentionally held off on hybrid inverter and batteries as I knew that tech is rapidly changing and with a reliable local grid, I am better off waiting at the moment on those components. But I still advise that solar can make a lot of sense in the right circumstance. even with a turn-key system. just make sure homeowner protects themselves properly in the contract (relatively easy to do, and avoid companies that balk at reasonable terms)

As for 'ghosting', here in CA, with huge decrease in solar installs, many companies laid off a lot of staff, or went out of business (or are on the brink of going under). Ex - SunPower exiting residential solar installs, and laying off all related staff.

so, if DIY isn't right for a homeowner, I'd suggest looking for a solar install company that also has other lines of business (like roofing, or HVAC, or electrical)... such that company reputation and warranty would still be honored even if they exited solar business [vs being their only line of business].

Depends on which 'meter' malfunctioned. As article implies still getting billed by local Util company, and no mention of electrical company crediting for false billing, so I'll assume this was more of the solar system monitoring system (meter)? in which case, there are plenty of installer/system warranties that cover system production caused by system fault (mine does). In my case, a solar company installed breaker (connecting to AC coupled, new PV sub-panel) melted 4 months after install ... that company is on the hook for lost PV production while system was down
Curious, how is lost production calculated in your agreement?

As for 'ghosting', here in CA, with huge decrease in solar installs, many companies laid off a lot of staff, or went out of business (or are on the brink of going under). Ex - SunPower exiting residential solar installs, and laying off all related staff.

so, if DIY isn't right for a homeowner, I'd suggest looking for a solar install company that also has other lines of business (like roofing, or HVAC, or electrical)... such that company reputation and warranty would still be honored even if they exited solar business [vs being their only line of business].
Really?
I thought California recently mandated all new houses had to have solar? Shouldn't that mean guaranteed employment for solar companies?

My advice would be to stay away from the nationwide solar installers. Chances are they wont be back to your property for anything. Even if they contract with a local-ish electrician, chances are that contract wont exist in 12 months. Stick with a local (within a couple hours) solar company if there is one, or just 100% DIY it.
I agree…if it comes to solar , if you can’t confidently build and service it yourself , leave it alone..
You will be on your own when things go south as a rule…
It’s still the the wild west stage…

Really?
I thought California recently mandated all new houses had to have solar? Shouldn't that mean guaranteed employment for solar companies?
Mandatory solar has been a thing for years.

There’s not that much new construction in California. And they slammed solar with end of net metering, which was years after mandatory solar

Mandatory solar has been a thing for years.

There’s not that much new construction in California. And they slammed solar with end of net metering, which was years after mandatory solar
It seems , that when left to their own choices , the people who run California seek the most destructive path possible for the future…. Jus sayin..

🚨EDIT……. after thinking on this comment I would like to change the words “ the people”
To “ many people” ….meaning not everyone…

I have had and still have some smart and good friends from California…

My apologies to the good folks out there.

J.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the replies !

Really great stuff. Thank you.

One reason I got Enphase certified and keep up with all there new courses.

But there tech support and service is top notch. Maybe they treat me different???

More advice if you can't afford to pay cash for solar don't get it. Too many people get into loans more than there house is worth. Crazy

I did not diy my system on the house but I had total control to what I was getting. I think alot of these installers talk people into crap they don't need.

I did diy my system at my off grid cabin.

Yea this is a diy fourm but this is the residential section. :) I do diy clean my solar panels. Blaaaa ha ha ha

:)

Back