diy solar

diy solar

Grounding using hall-effect sensor - Where to attach equipment ground

pulper11

Hello - I'm using the Morningstar 600V Ground Fault Detection Device (GFPD-600V) for my system. I've got one LV6548, two Trophy 48V batteries, and nine 310W Solar panels with 6 and 3 in series and those combined in parallel. I'm running a critical loads subpanel that will also have passthrough from the main service panel. I'll post a diagram.

I'm not understanding where to attach the equipment grounding wire from the PV Array.

@FilterGuy posted in another post (https://diysolarforum.com/threads/a...-critical-load-panel-wiring.35089/post-474194):
"If you use a hall-effect sensor for the Ground fault protection, you won't have to ground the PV circuit, but that is still may not be to code due to the requirement to ground circuits that operate above 60V."

When I look at his "Ground Fault Protection on Solar Arrays" Document, I'd me using Method 2 (Current sense and Compare), it appears to show the equipment ground tied into the negative of the battery.

I've attached what the Morningstar GFPD-600V manual indicates for the equipment ground.

So, most importantly, where do I attach the equipment grounding wire from the PV Arrays? And also, if the hall-effect sensor will shut off the system if it senses a ground fault, then why does the manual indicate the need to ground the PV System separately?

Thank you!

Attachments

• morningstar grounding .jpg
    morningstar grounding .jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 11
  • diagram of solar.jpg
    diagram of solar.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 12
Back