diy solar

diy solar

Grounding Wire for Racks Q's

jmoles

I have plans with 3 different arrays on 3 separated branches. Grid tied with microinverters.

For grounding the racks I'm planning to use #6 bare copper and then transition to thwn-2 in junction boxes into conduit. I'd need to do a few transitions, something like this: bare>conduit>bare>conduit

Branch size 30 amp. I just wanted to double check that I'm OK going from #6 solid to #10 THWN-2 with ground wire on a 30 amp circuit?

Last edited:
I have plans with 3 different arrays on 3 separated branches.

For grounding the racks I'm planning to use #6 bare copper and then transition to thwn-2 in junction boxes into conduit. I'd need to do a few transitions, something like this: bare>conduit>bare>conduit

Branch size 30 amp. I just wanted to double check that I'm OK going from #6 solid to #10 THWN-2 with ground wire on a 30 amp circuit?
This is for bonding the arrays to your system grounding electrode at the service panel, correct?

Do not install a grounding electrode at the arrays. You will need to use #6 for any exposed wire. For example, run #6 between the panels. You can transition to #10 once you reach an enclosure and run #10 all the way back to the system grounding electrode.

This is for bonding the arrays to your system grounding electrode at the service panel, correct?
Correct. It's to ground the array and related racking hardware and then run to the service panel grounding which ultimately runs to the grounding rod.

Reactions: Zwy
This is most likely against your local codes. If I remember correctly the ground wire is a unbroken run all the way to the ground rod.
This install will be with microinverters and SnapNRack ur-40 rails. Looking at the SnapNrack install manual it appears I'd run #6 copper to connect the rails. then the grounding wire from the microinverters would be the connection to the grounding rod.

Am I reading this correctly? If that's the case then the only ground being run through the conduit would be the ground wire from the microinverters and the #6 would only be used to connect the rails.

Attachments

• grounding-path.JPG
    grounding-path.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 8
Back