diy solar

diy solar

Need a main panel, pv wire, ecg (array) recommendation

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
Looking for a small 120 panel ? Just want to instal,a breaker for proper electrical grounding.

pv wire (prefer direct burial), not sure if I should go 6 awg ?
Array ecg ? Prefer direct burial with pv wire. 6 g? Solid bare?

prefer,to avoid junction box.

should I use 6g solid bare for everything? Array ecg, EGC, and to.connect 2 rods together? As well as all ecg?

partial to 6g solid bare only because Home Depot has tons of it on hand.

Looking for a small 120 panel ? Just want to instal,a breaker for proper electrical grounding.
The only panels that are dedicated for 120v are RV panels. But any panel can be used for 120v.
pv wire (prefer direct burial), not sure if I should go 6 awg ?
Array ecg ? Prefer direct burial with pv wire. 6 g? Solid bare?
Can't answer without array information.
How many circuits?
What voltage?
What amperage?
Length of wire run?
should I use 6g solid bare for everything? Array ecg, EGC, and to.connect 2 rods together? As well as all ecg?
I wouldn't use solid bare for anything.

Not sure what you are referring to.
partial to 6g solid bare only because Home Depot has tons of it on hand.
It's used for swimming pool grounding.

The only panels that are dedicated for 120v are RV panels. But any panel can be used for 120v.

Can't answer without array information.
How many circuits?
What voltage?
What amperage?
Length of wire run?

I wouldn't use solid bare for anything.

Not sure what you are referring to.

It's used for swimming pool grounding.
4 x 480 watt panels. Likely 4 series. Maybe 2p2s. 50 foot run. 53.5 voc, 11.24 isc

ecg I’m referring to is the grounding wire from the array to the ground System. (Can’t remember what’s called what).

so I need a red, and black, and “ground” wire for the array.

Do you not use solid bare to connect ground rods together, and also ground rods to ground bus in panel? I‘m open to suggestions I just thought buying 6g bare solid would keep it simple.

then I just need a small electrical panel for a breaker.

Likely 4 series. Maybe 2p2s. 50 foot run. 53.5 voc, 11.24 isc
4 in series (4s) at 50 ft would require #14 AWG (guessing 45v vmp and 10.5a imp)
2s2p would require #10 AWG.
In both cases, the EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor) would be the same size as the positive and negative wires.
Do you not use solid bare to connect ground rods together,
I don't. While between the rods wouldn't be a problem. Code requires it to be a single unbroken Conductor all of the way to the main ground bar. In some situations it may be fine. But in others it wouldn't.
And since insulated wire is fine in every situation. That's all that I carry on the truck.
and also ground rods to ground bus in panel? I‘m open to suggestions I just thought buying 6g bare solid would keep it simple.
You only want one connection point between the earth and your grounding system.
A bare wire doesn't provide the ability to avoid unintended connection points.

4 in series (4s) at 50 ft would require #14 AWG (guessing 45v vmp and 10.5a imp)
2s2p would require #10 AWG.
In both cases, the EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor) would be the same size as the positive and negative wires.

I don't. While between the rods wouldn't be a problem. Code requires it to be a single unbroken Conductor all of the way to the main ground bar. In some situations it may be fine. But in others it wouldn't.
And since insulated wire is fine in every situation. That's all that I carry on the truck.

You only want one connection point between the earth and your grounding system.
A bare wire doesn't provide the ability to avoid unintended connection points.
I can get 10g pv wire in 7, or 19 strand. 19 is better?

for my EGC (array) what wire type do you recommend? (Direct burial)

would my EGC for all my ac and dc equipment be the same size as the conductors? (Like the array) my Cc will have 10g and 2 g so the larger of the 2 for EGC?

would my EGC for all my ac and dc equipment be the same size as the conductors? (Like the array) my Cc will have 10g and 2 g so the larger of the 2 for EGC?
An EGC should be ran along with each run of current carrying conductors.
The size of the EGC is based on the largest OCP (Over Current Protection) device (breaker or fuse) for those current carrying conductors.

This chart gives the required sizes.

7uqFA.jpg

For these low amperage conductors. Either is fine. Let cost decide.
I don't recommend direct burial.
Conduit gives you freedom in the future. To fix or change anything.
But if I were to do direct burial for your situation. I would probably use UF cable.

For these low amperage conductors. Either is fine. Let cost decide.

I don't recommend direct burial.
Conduit gives you freedom in the future. To fix or change anything.
But if I were to do direct burial for your situation. I would probably use UF cable.
My CC needs a 70A fuse (max 80a) so do I round up? (8g EGC)

can I up size the EGC? I need to buy 10g for the panels, and I’m buying 6g for the ground rods. I’d like to use the 6g for the CC instead of buying more wire For,the CC.

I agree conduit is better, but it’s for a cabin I don’t own (ongoing family cabin bs). I want to spend as little money as possible on “not my cabin”, thus a quick trench and bury.

Wire sizes are the minimum requirements.
You can always go larger, but never smaller.

Wire sizes are the minimum requirements.
You can always go larger, but never smaller.

I’ve decided to use conduit. For the cost (offset by cheaper wire) I’d rather “future proof”.

3/4“ conduit is enough? 3 wires @10g, and the thwn-2 is what I need? Is thwn-2 a good choice for all EGC in my system?

as for the grounding system my electrician friend said they use 2 10’ rods , 10’ apart and 6g bare twist to connect. It’s widely available here. When you talk about unintended connection points between earth and ground do you mean someone clamping a wire to it?

3/4“ conduit is enough? 3 wires @10g, and the thwn-2 is what I need? Is thwn-2 a good choice for all EGC in my system?
Yes, to all.
as for the grounding system my electrician friend said they use 2 10’ rods , 10’ apart and 6g bare twist to connect.
That's fine.
When you talk about unintended connection points between earth and ground do you mean someone clamping a wire to it?
No
Direct contact between earth and a bare conductor.
In places where it's not a good thing.
Not an issue at the GEC (Grounding Electrode Conductor).
But it's best to avoid with any EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor). Especially when outdoors and over distance.

Yes, to all.

That's fine.

No
Direct contact between earth and a bare conductor.
In places where it's not a good thing.
Not an issue at the GEC (Grounding Electrode Conductor).
But it's best to avoid with any EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor). Especially when outdoors and over distance.

what would you recommend to transition from PV wire to THWN-2?

DC disconnect? (Will have one at the CC but can’t hurt to have one at the array)?
waterproof junction box and busbars?
some type of splice/marrette?

I don’t need a fancy combiner box. Just,need to “splice” the wire.

what would you recommend to transition from PV wire to THWN-2?

DC disconnect? (Will have one at the CC but can’t hurt to have one at the array)?
waterproof junction box and busbars?
some type of splice/marrette?

I don’t need a fancy combiner box. Just,need to “splice” the wire.
Any good connection, protected from the weather and physical damage.

Any good connection, protected from the weather and physical damage.

im thinking cheap plastic box with busbars. May even put an SPD at that location.

as for burial depth for conduit (not talking code, but safe) is the depth to protect from other people digging, or is it to dissipate current if there’s a short?

im asking because I’m trenching in the middle of no where. There’s no “call before you dig”. Shallower is easier. To bring a trencher out is a bit of an ordeal.

That was one of my options in post #12. I’m already using one of these disconnects at the CC.
OK. You can get this I think in DIN form, and put it in a junction box with the SPD you mentioned. Or you can use breakers.

I don’t think straight terminals would be my jam, you’ll have to like disconnect at an MC4 before working in this box.

Back