diy solar

diy solar

Growatt Inverter Stuck in wrong grid type

isak

Hi, new here so sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Anyhow, my issue is this.
Running a Growatt MOD 10KTL3-XH ( connected to panels, and grid, with batteries ).
It's connected to the grid through an Eastron SDM630 Modbus V3 ( 3 phase ) smart meter.

The smart meter is showing L1,L2,L3 fine with correct values etc.
The problem is, the inverted thinks it's single phase, or atleast the inverter is stuck in single phase mode, which makes all my values and charts unusable as they only show data from 1 phase. ( see image )

Looking in the Shine app there's a setting to change grid type between single/three/split phase.
However any attempts to change this to three phase fails, seems the server does not allow me to change it ( I can change all other values ).
(see images)

The only thing I've heard from official sources is that this option is now longer modifiable as the inverter should autodetect the setting.

Anyone had similar issues? any clues on how to solve this?
I've done factory resets etc already..

Sweden/220v/3 phase

Cheers
/Isak

Attachments

• smartmeterIMG_20230119_095129.jpg
    smartmeterIMG_20230119_095129.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20230119-095639.jpg
    Screenshot_20230119-095639.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20230119-095436.jpg
    Screenshot_20230119-095436.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20230119-095416.jpg
    Screenshot_20230119-095416.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230119-095655.jpg
    Screenshot_20230119-095655.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230119-095651.jpg
    Screenshot_20230119-095651.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230119-095632.jpg
    Screenshot_20230119-095632.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230119-095601.jpg
    Screenshot_20230119-095601.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230119-095624.jpg
    Screenshot_20230119-095624.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 24
Hi, new here so sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Anyhow, my issue is this.
Running a Growatt MOD 10KTL3-XH ( connected to panels, and grid, with batteries ).
It's connected to the grid through an Eastron SDM630 Modbus V3 ( 3 phase ) smart meter.

The smart meter is showing L1,L2,L3 fine with correct values etc.
The problem is, the inverted thinks it's single phase, or atleast the inverter is stuck in single phase mode, which makes all my values and charts unusable as they only show data from 1 phase. ( see image )

Looking in the Shine app there's a setting to change grid type between single/three/split phase.
However any attempts to change this to three phase fails, seems the server does not allow me to change it ( I can change all other values ).
(see images)

The only thing I've heard from official sources is that this option is now longer modifiable as the inverter should autodetect the setting.

Anyone had similar issues? any clues on how to solve this?
I've done factory resets etc already..

Sweden/220v/3 phase

Cheers
/Isak
On the EG4s, the phase mode must be set when the panels are turning off. I found the best method is to turn on only the PV inputs during daylight hours without battery or AC input. This puts the unit into standby where you can change the phase mode.

It sounds like the system crashed or somehow lost its settings. I am not familiar with an auto detect phase mode in these AIO units. Good luck getting your system operational.

Best,
-Jay

Thanks for the feedback, I did however solve it myself but just now realised I posted that information in the wrong thread :p
This is what I was supposed to post here:

I solved it myself, leaving the solution here for others.
It's not enough to change the address on smartmeter/inverter, they need to be fully restarted before the address change happens, even if it shows correct address in the display. After making sure they were both correct and after a "coldboot" it's now showing three phase in the shineapp and I get my full consumption on all phases shown :)

Thanks for the feedback, I did however solve it myself but just now realised I posted that information in the wrong thread :p
This is what I was supposed to post here:

I solved it myself, leaving the solution here for others.
It's not enough to change the address on smartmeter/inverter, they need to be fully restarted before the address change happens, even if it shows correct address in the display. After making sure they were both correct and after a "coldboot" it's now showing three phase in the shineapp and I get my full consumption on all phases shown :)
Hi. I have the MOD 10kTL3-X Inverter paired with the SDM 630 V2, and also have the same issue, it stays in single phase mode. Can you elaborate what did you do to "coldboot" the units? Thanks ?

I turned off the main breakers from the grid, turned off the PV breaker, turned on the grid breaker, turned on the PV breaker, the SDM 630 V2 shows the ? icon, the inverter shines the green leaf(LED), but in the app it still displays "single phase"...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-28-18-39-53-534_com.growatt.shinephones-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-28-18-39-53-534_com.growatt.shinephones-edit.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 11
@NedGo I think you were close, the cold boot is probably indeed what you need, but the order you made may explain it failed:

When all is off, only turn on the inverter (+PV breaker), NOT the grid breaker. => This way the inverter sees some power from the panels, but not the grid, so it can switch to a configuration mode.
At that time, you check and fix the configuration.
+Then only you turn off the inverter again, then you turn all on.
OR (if still failing)
+Then you keep the inverter on, and turn on the grid breaker, so that the inverter switch back from configuration mode.

I have no such hardware, but technically those combinations make sense, according to the logic of the engineer who implemented this.

Good luck.

@NedGo I think you were close, the cold boot is probably indeed what you need, but the order you made may explain it failed:

When all is off, only turn on the inverter (+PV breaker), NOT the grid breaker. => This way the inverter sees some power from the panels, but not the grid, so it can switch to a configuration mode.
OR (if still failing)
+Then you keep the inverter on, and turn on the grid breaker, so that the inverter switch back from configuration mode.

I have no such hardware, but technically those combinations make sense, according to the logic of the engineer who implemented this.

Good luck.
Thank you for the reply, I will try first thing in the morning. Will give you an update.

OR (if still failing)

Good luck.
Did try both methods, no change.

To clarify, my inverter doesnt have the "GRID TYPE" option, it is a 3 Phase inverter tho...

Without a similar hardware, no clue from my side. What I would do:
- Ensure to update the firmware of inverter + meter (if any) + Shine dongle + app
- Not rely on the app, it is a toy. What is important is the inverter+meter+online data, via website if app is defect.

Without a similar hardware, no clue from my side. What I would do:
- Ensure to update the firmware of inverter + meter (if any) + Shine dongle + app
- Not rely on the app, it is a toy. What is important is the inverter+meter+online data, via website if app is defect.
Hello again,

As the inverter is stuck in reading the data from L1 only, I have noticed that if there is more power required on L2 or L3 phase, even when there is sun without clouds, the inverter is not producing more, which confirms that the inverter reads only the L1 values from the Smart Meter. I haven't managed to make it work. It's really getting on my nerves. I need to make the load spread equally on all 3 phases to have a viable output...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230428-142829_Photos.png
    Screenshot_20230428-142829_Photos.png
    384.9 KB · Views: 6
Hello again,

As the inverter is stuck in reading the data from L1 only, I have noticed that if there is more power required on L2 or L3 phase, even when there is sun without clouds, the inverter is not producing more, which confirms that the inverter reads only the L1 values from the Smart Meter. I haven't managed to make it work. It's really getting on my nerves. I need to make the load spread equally on all 3 phases to have a viable output...
Okay, FINALLY managed to fix this issue!!!

Before I explain how i did it, i want to leave my equipment details: Growatt 10KTL3-X 3 phase inverter paired with Eastron SDM 630 ModBus V2 Smart Meter

Leaving the steps i took to fix it:

1. Disconnect the AC power (trip the breakers) from the Inverter.
2. Disconnect the RS485 Cable from the Growatt inverter.
3. Turn off Export Limit option from the settings.
4. Reset the settings.
5. Change Language to English
6. Change the Eastron SDM 630 V2 address to 002 (previously it was set to 001 and on 002 it didn't communicate with the Growatt inverter)
7. Plug in the RS485 in to the inverter.
8. Turn on the AC breakers.
9. Set the Export Limit to your desired %.
10. Refresh the web client and you will see SDM_THREE ?

Hi,
Great you could fix it!

It tends to confirm that Growatt is acting differently with "their own" meter compared to the standard SDM630. Changing this adress seems to be the trigger of the behavior change.

Can you confirm which pins (at the inverter LAN plug) should be meter connected to, please? By information which I found, CT clip and meter should be on different plug pins. Yes, I know different socket for CT clip and different socket for meter, but which pins on cable?

Back