diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPH6000 > Solar Assistant > MQTT > Feed to InfluxDB V2?

cliver1956

Hi all, I have a new solar assistant install set up on my growatt system and gathering data.
My next step is to try and set up the MQTT to feed into my InfluxDB instance which is gathering data from my house mains via IotaWatt and my Smart Meter via the Octopus API.
I have never used MQTT before and I'm a little confused by the documentation (I'm easily confused ;)
Am I right in saying that the solar assistants built in MQTT is a broker so I don't need to install the mosquito server or anything as the MQTT on the solar assistant is doing that function?
I'm thinking I'll need:
solar assistant/MQTT > mosquito_client > Telegraf > InfluxDB
Am I on the right track?
Is there a simpler way to get the data from Solar Assistant to InfluxDB?
Anyone done this?
Any help appreciated.

Can anyone shed any light?
I have the MQTT broker running on solar assistant with another Pi running mosquito broker.
From the command line I can subscribe to the topic on both the brokers and see the data streaming to the screen.
My problem is getting telegraf set up to parse the data and feed it to influxdb.
Can anyone help with this?

Following ... I'm in the same boat, I am trying to figure out how to get the data into Influx. I can run the windows Mosquitto client, but it's just a stream of data, I suspect I'll need to spin up a broker. Not familiar with telegraf so no idea what comes next.

I have it partly working. Still a few issues but it'll get you started. If anyone has more input please any info appreciated.

Have a look at this thread this thread on the influxdata forum. It's not complete but it's getting me there.
Looks like you've made quite a bit of progress! I need to find time after work to setup telegraf \ influx \ grafana.

Procedurally - I am correct thinking that Mosquitto is the broker and Telegraf uses Mosquitto to populate Influx? I am using Docker and can find a container with Telegraf, Influx and Grafana, but I need to figure out how to add Mosquitto (if my assumptions are correct) to that container...

Looks like you've made quite a bit of progress! I need to find time after work to setup telegraf \ influx \ grafana.

Procedurally - I am correct thinking that Mosquitto is the broker and Telegraf uses Mosquitto to populate Influx? I am using Docker and can find a container with Telegraf, Influx and Grafana, but I need to figure out how to add Mosquitto (if my assumptions are correct) to that container...
Yes, you are on the right track. You can run mosquito in a separate container. The relevant ports will be exposed at the localhost level anyway. Or even not run it in a container if necessary.
For clarity, I am very much a beginner ?

I am also a beginner when it comes to Docker and Linux. I've now stumbled down a very deep hole, my containers for PiHole and VueGraf, Influx, Grafana were on my NAS.

Adding mosquitto and Telegraf means I need to move off the NAS (lack of resources), so it appears I am going to be redoing all that and moving to a bare-metal linux box with Portainer and then a new stack with Influx, mosquitto, grafana, telegraf and vuegraf.

My simple "get Solar Assistant data into my dashboard" has turned into a deep dive on Linux, Docker and all the associated tools...

Back