diy solar

diy solar

Hear me out for a second.

SoakedUp

Solar Enthusiast
Say I have a Victron Multiplus 12/2000 with a max continuous of 1600w and a Victron pheonix 12/1200 with a max continuous of 1000w, both connected to the same battery bank.

Could I connect the pheonix 120v AC output to the multiplus AC in to basically trick the multiplus into thinking the pheonix inverter was grid power or generator power. Then limit the AC in to about 8amps to avoid overloading the pheonix.

This would temporarily allow for a max continuous of about 2600w out of the multiplus using the assisting feature.

Would this work? I understand there would probably be some losses but ultimately allow me to basically parallel both inverters for a higher output.

How would the cerbo VRM dashboard display this power transfer. Would it show the power coming in to the multiplus as AC in but also show in on the AC out side as well basically canceling itself out?

You would need to set the multiplus to inverter only (no charge function) otherwise, the inverter is charging the batteries from battery....

The cerbo would show the battery load correctly (from the shunt), but the phoenix would show as DC loads. The load on the phoenix would show as "generator/grid" AC input. It would not show it as another inverter, and you could not control the phoenix from the Cerbo.

You would need to set the multiplus to inverter only (no charge function) otherwise, the inverter is charging the batteries from battery....

The cerbo would show the battery load correctly (from the shunt), but the phoenix would show as DC loads. The load on the phoenix would show as "generator/grid" AC input. It would not show it as another inverter, and you could not control the phoenix from the Cerbo.
I currently have my pheonix connected to the cerbo with a ve.direct cable and I can control it (adjust settings) on the victron connect app and remote console via VRM. Why would I lose this functionality by adding the multiplus?

As 'Andy's off grid garage', the Multiplus is controlling the Phoenix as if it is a single contact enabled generator startup. You can set the Multiplus to enable the Phoenix at a particular Multiplus AC output load current level.

Multiplus is setup for load shaving of AC input from Phoenix. Multiplus pass-through relay limit is 50 amps so it will cover Phoenix maximum output current. When Phoenix is activated, it will take over most of the AC output load until output reaches load shaving level on Multiplus then Multiplus will add its power to Phoenix for net greater AC output load capability.

You will have the time (about 10-20 secs) for Multiplus to sync to Phoenix when Phoenix is activated, but you save idle power by disabling the Phoenix when extra power is not needed. In order to get greater startup surge capability for AC motors both inverters must be active and sync locked together.

This is the video where he hooks up the Multiplus to Phoenix control cable (Multiplus generator enable to Phoenix inverter remote enable control) and programs setup for Multiplus.

Last edited:
Back