diy solar

diy solar

Help! Deeply discharged Tesla Battery

scifisanta

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but I have followed Will for a bit and gave the DIY Tesla solar set up a shot in my van. I had everything all set up and working smoothly until I lost a solar panel in some bad weather. The broken circuit resulted in the battery being drained over the next couple of days while I was away from the van at work and now I have the predicament of not being able to charge the Tesla battery externally.

I have the battery running through a 220 Amp Victron Battery Protect and charge the battery with 320 Watts of 24v solar via a Victron 20 Amp MPPT charge controller.

I have looked for 24-volt lithium-ion battery chargers here in the PNW and haven't found any or even online. Any help or advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Is the the battery not accepting power from the Victron SCC or is Victron not outputting any volts on its terminals?

Progressive Dynamics make an excellent lifepo4 charger that may work for you. It charges from a 120v source (outlet or generator). The have 25 and 40amp output models.

Link

I rarely need a secondary source for charging, and dont need to hit the top end SOC for lofepo4. I just need to get to the next sunny day, so I went with standard lead acid model as it is a cc/cv 27.2 at 25amp and can also use it for the few legacy batteries I still have. But for your setup, would recommend the lifepo4 unit I linked to. But verify your required charge profile to the output of this unit first.

Last edited:
I highly recommend you purchase a charger that allows for a custom charge profile since over charging a Tesla module can result in a thermal run away. Do not use a charger for LiFe as the charge profile is too high.

Either use a power supply that you can adjust the charge between 24 to 25 volts. You should not go higher than 25.2 volts.
Another option you may like is purchase a Victron Orion TR smart 12/24 DC to DC charger and install in your van for a secondary charge source.

By the way how did you under charge your tesla since you have a BP220 in line? It should have switched off at 19 volts to save your battery?

By the way. I employ a Tesla battery system. I charge by solar and a Victron Multiplus 24/3000.

Does the battery have any voltage on it's external leads? If not, you'll probably have to open it up and charge up the cells a bit manually.

Back