diy solar

diy solar

Help! I dont kno what im doing wrong

Luanne

I got a bluetti ac300 with b3000 and 420 watt panel. When I try to charge it up with my generator it won't charge...the fuel generator runs for hours n the bluetti isn't charging from it. I'm using a 10,000 watt generator to try to charge it. I live off grid with the bluetti as my power source as the fuel generator is too expensive to run even tho it's duel fuel. I have my 40 ft 50 amp (reduced to 30 amp) rv plugged into the bluetti and then use bluetti charging cord plugged into my fuel generator. Right now I'm using the solar panels cause it's sunny outside. The bluetti is out in the shed...should I bring it inside the RV....? It get cold in the shed....I don't know what to do...please help! Thank you! Luanne

I am not familiar with Bluetti ac300, but I just looked at the owners manual on the web. First thing to think about is the 50amp to 30 amp reducer. 50 amp requires (2) separate 120v services. The reducer just eliminates one.
Another thing to understand is in the settings, make sure it’s not in a bypass mode of some kind servicing the load rather than the charge. Read the manual to fully understand the settings and the app.IMG_1356.png

Last edited:
Has to be something simple. A 10k generator should be plenty to charge it. I probably would not keep it in the shed if possible. When you say shed, it it exposed to temp extremes, and humidity extremes, or dampness?

Has to be something simple. A 10k generator should be plenty to charge it. I probably would not keep it in the shed if possible. When you say shed, it it exposed to temp extremes, and humidity extremes, or dampness?
Yes it gets cold in the shed...I do close the door when charging it with my fuel generator to keep the shed warm.

Lithium batteries should not be charged if under 32F. Are your batteries “cold soaked” before you start charging? The battery software could be preventing charging because they are too cold.

Some chargers want really good voltage & frequency specs? Some generators don’t give off “good” power for electronics. Maybe borrow another generator and see if that fixes it. Have you measured the generator outputs?

Good Luck

I'm betting the generator is putting out fluctuating frequency and the Bluetti is not liking it.

Try a better generator, namely an inverter style would be best.
My very limited experience says the same. My 10Kw tradition gen will not charge but my 2Kw inverter gen will. This is on a rich solar 6548. I have read that plugging in a load like a heater settles down the wave form so the charge controller is happy.

My very limited experience says the same. My 10Kw tradition gen will not charge but my 2Kw inverter gen will. This is on a rich solar 6548. I have read that plugging in a load like a heater settles down the wave form so the charge controller is happy.
Worked for me.

Would probably make most sense to swap the 10kw for a smallish inverter generator to charge the bluetti. Save the 10k for a chargeverter when you start building your own 48V packs...

Reading the posted manual section from Solar Scott I notice that it states; "the generator charging cable (purchased separately)". Seems odd that it would not use the supplied AC charging cable but there may be a reason. However this might be overcome if instead of plugging your RV into your Bluetti, and plugging the Bluetti into the generator, plug your RV into the generator and than use the power to plug in to charge your Bluetti.

I have an AC300 and it charges just fine from my Honda EU2000 INVERTER generator using the supplied NEMA 5-15 power cord. I'm guessing your 10K generator isn't inverter and is pretty dirty for waveform. The AC300 manual and all of Bluetti's other documentation says they want clean power to charge and specifically suggests inverter generators. There was a suggestion above to put some load on the generator to try to stabilize the waveform maybe enough to let the AC300 accept it. Worth a try.

Back