diy solar

diy solar

How hot can exterior metal conduit get?

Ubby

I have exterior 3/4 metal conduit for my PV wires that'll be getting direct sunlight exposure for several hours a day in Phoenix, Arizona. The max current through the conduit will be 450v @ 19 amps. Are things gonna get too hot for my 10 awg THWN-2 wire? It's rated for 90 celsius (194 f).

The NEC has derating calcs for environmental temperature, and somebody maintains an industry database for what temp to use for different areas. It's like a copper association or something.

I think maybe when you derate you get to replace a 1.25 so instead of x 1.25 x 1.25 = 1.56x it's x derate x 1.25 = ampacity required. But not positive about that.

Here's both outdoor and rooftop:

Fantastic. This is perfect info. Looks like I'm good! Thanks!

Fantastic. This is perfect info. Looks like I'm good! Thanks!
I hope so. There’s tens of thousands of installations like that in the phoenix valley.

Mine is one. I have 145 volts going though 10 AWG in metal conduit painted to the color of the house.

I have exterior 3/4 metal conduit for my PV wires that'll be getting direct sunlight exposure for several hours a day in Phoenix, Arizona. The max current through the conduit will be 450v @ 19 amps. Are things gonna get too hot for my 10 awg THWN-2 wire? It's rated for 90 celsius (194 f).
How did it get to 19A? That sounds like a weird number to me.

Probably said already but I don’t believe the EMT per se has any meaningful temp limit. (Unlike plastic conduits)

How did it get to 19A? That sounds like a weird number to me.

Probably said already but I don’t believe the EMT per se has any meaningful temp limit. (Unlike plastic conduits)
Two 9.5 amp arrays in parallel. I’m more concerned about the wire’s temp rating.

OK. You have a pretty large margin to chew through with the derating factors (40A/19A = 2.11). You wouldn’t want to add more current carrying conductors in there.

Also shouldn’t the AHJ be expecting derating calculations. And hiring out a plans package would do this for you.

Back