diy solar

diy solar

How much power to heat water tank?

wopachop

Wasnt sure where to post this. Curious how much electric power it takes to heat an RV water tank versus how much propane? I started doing some tests on my 10gal Suburban with the water starting at roughly 70F.

Electric: 1.43kwh
Propane: 0.1gal (196grams i hope my conversion is correct)

1.43 x 3400 (btu) / 80lbs water = 60 degrees temp rise.

Back of the hand calculation agrees with your findings.

91,500 btu x .1 gallon x .6 efficiency = 5490 / 70 degree temp rise also close, heater is probably actually slightly less than 60% efficiency.

Wasnt sure where to post this. Curious how much electric power it takes to heat an RV water tank versus how much propane? I started doing some tests on my 10gal Suburban with the water starting at roughly 70F.

On the electric side it depends. If you are using a water heater that uses a resistor or a heat pump to heat the water.
With a resistive load and if you calculate an increase in temperature from 70f to 140f at 100% efficiency it takes 1,76 kwh; 70f to 130f is 1,5 kwh.
If the water heater uses a heat pump you would have to divide that by the cop. My Ariston Lydos Hybrid has a cop of around 2 for example.

Propane has a energy density of 13kwh/kg. So at 100% efficiency the same 1,76kwh would be around 135 grams, but a propane water heater is normally around 90% efficiency.

Here's a calculator for the physics:
10gal Suburban with the water starting at roughly 70F.

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 8.25.23 am.png

That correct.

1 kg propane = 14.0 kWh, so 196 g = 2.74 kWh

So efficiency of 1.43 / 2.74 = 52%

I know there are heat pump water heaters, we have govt incentives for installing them here when replacing gas or regular electric. I was more wondering about suitability for RVs.
I am not a RV guy but my lydos water heater could work i guess if the RV is big enough or you need a lot of hot water.

Differences in efficiency seen here may all be due to lack of significant digits in the propane weight given. Three digits given on the electric measurement is good, but only one digit given on the propane. Converting 0.1# propane to grams should be 200 grams due to rounding. 0.100# of propane is 196 grams.

I am making this point because I picture the OP weighing the propane with a bathroom scale and then recording the difference. In each case, the estimates used several more digits than the OP gave. It could be 50% efficient or 60% efficient, but probably not 52% or 55% because you only got one digit to play with.

So the question is, how accurate is the propane measurement? Is it possible to directly weigh in grams?

Differences in efficiency seen here may all be due to lack of significant digits in the propane weight given. Three digits given on the electric measurement is good, but only one digit given on the propane. Converting 0.1# propane to grams should be 200 grams due to rounding. 0.100# of propane is 196 grams.

I am making this point because I picture the OP weighing the propane with a bathroom scale and then recording the difference. In each case, the estimates used several more digits than the OP gave. It could be 50% efficient or 60% efficient, but probably not 52% or 55% because you only got one digit to play with.

So the question is, how accurate is the propane measurement? Is it possible to directly weigh in grams?
Even the energy yield from 1kg of propane varies depending on the actual mix used.

Back