diy solar

diy solar

How to get the AC output from the inverter to the inside of the RV?

McG

This newbie from Indiana needs help. I’m building Will’s “Classic 400 watt” system described in Will’s book (actually, it will have 600 watts of panels) using Victron’s solar charge controller, battery monitor and inverter along with two 100 ah batteries from Battle Born.

My question: What’s the best way to get the AC power into my fifth wheel RV? The distribution center in the RV is a WFCO Ultra III, Model WF-8930/50 and I have it’s wiring diagram, if needed. Should I connect the inverter into the distribution center and, if so, how? Another option might be to run a power cord from the inverter back to the 50 amp receptacle at the rear of the RV using a couple of dog bones. I’ve done this in the past with the Honda 2200 and it worked, but I’d prefer a more permanent setup.

Any help will be most appreciated!

Phil McG

Did you purchase an inverter/charger or just an inverter?
An inverter/charger works sweet for this setup.

Attachments

• 68B24E91-CE34-4847-96DF-89C6701A8778.jpeg
    68B24E91-CE34-4847-96DF-89C6701A8778.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 0A32C43D-58E2-4AD8-85BE-500F96CFA6FE.jpeg
    0A32C43D-58E2-4AD8-85BE-500F96CFA6FE.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 15
Here’s the wiring diagram and a pic of the Victron inverter. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Do you have a diagram for the RV setup including both the DC and AC?
Good news is your inverter is actually an inverter/charger with a transfer switch.

This will answer all your questions. Works on 50, 30 and 20 amp hookups.
Victron Multi Plus install.
This is how I'm doing mine only I think I'll use the manual switch for phase select. The auto relay is $600. Also going to use the 3000 watt version.

Greg

Last edited:
Do you have a diagram for the RV setup including both the DC and AC?
Good news is your inverter is actually an inverter/charger with a transfer switch.

Sadly, no I don’t. When they build RVs, I think they just make it up as they go along.

This will answer all your questions. Works on 50, 30 and 20 amp hookups.
Victron Multi Plus install.
This is how I'm doing mine only I think I'll use the manual switch for phase select. The auto relay is $600. Also going to use the 3000 watt version.

Greg
Wow! Thanks, Greg. That’s a new one for me. I’ll definitely check it out.

I'm using an AIMS inverter/charger instead of Victron, but the idea is the same. The setup on my RV follows the 30amp setup in the diagrams linked above. Short version is: hook the shore power line to the input on the inverter, and run the output of the inverter to the breaker panel.

I'm using an AIMS inverter/charger instead of Victron, but the idea is the same. The setup on my RV follows the 30amp setup in the diagrams linked above. Short version is: hook the shore power line to the input on the inverter, and run the output of the inverter to the breaker panel.
And disable the converter if one is present.

Thanks, Dashdrum, but I’m not seeing the diagrams you mentioned. They sound promising.

What I'm about to say may seem a bit daunting at first but all submarine sailors do this to earn their Dolphins once assigned to their first boat.
You need to hand trace your AC distribution wiring & develop your own diagram. I've done it on my three 5th wheels to get a base line before starting mods.
Initially:
  1. Turn everything on.
    1. Cycle each breaker.
    2. List everything that goes off with each breaker.
      • Check all outlets for every breaker.
  2. Place this info in a formal document.
  3. Choose the loads you want on the inverter.
  4. Install a subpanel for the inverter loads.
    1. Move the inverter loads to the subpanel.
With this setup the main panel uses shore power & the sub panel uses the inverter. If you want the sub panel to also use shore power you will need a transfer switch between the panels.

Important to note that the Linked schematics above are utilizing "drop-in" lithium battery systems that contain their own battery Management System. One of the challenges of the DIY RV LFP install is adding the proper Battery Management System to the linked schematics to ensure the batteries are protected from high and low voltage events plus interact with multiple charge and discharge sources/sinks.

Back