diy solar

diy solar

How to remotely activate/ deactivate AC input for EG4 6500EX

I sure wish someone would settle this issue one way or the other -- Can the 6500EX 'provide additional power from the grid if needed to support loads' or is it ALL or NOTHING. Repeated e-mails and web correspondence to SS provides no response. Maybe they think it is to trivial to address or that it has been answered too many time, but I have made repeated searches on the forum with no results. This is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on an order. I am not interested in an inverter that throws away solar just because I need 3 and only have 2.
Here are just my posts about the 6500EX. https://diysolarforum.com/search/1713758/?q=6500EX&c[users]=Zwy&o=relevance

I'd definitely read up more on this unit from other members.

How many amps? What is your goal?
My EV charger is the Grizzl-E (now available in USA!) it has internal controls, that I can set (16, 24, 32, 40 amp) I used the low 16A setting because of the limit of the relay I was using. I would like to upgrade the relay to the full 40A, since that would permit any of the lower settings as well.

My EV charger is the Grizzl-E (now available in USA!) it has internal controls, that I can set (16, 24, 32, 40 amp) I used the low 16A setting because of the limit of the relay I was using. I would like to upgrade the relay to the full 40A, since that would permit any of the lower settings as well.
Any UL listed 40 amp or larger contactor. What control method do you want to use when activating the contactor?

You can PM...so we don't hijack the original post.

I’m using a wifi breaker purchased from Aliexpress to achieve this. It supports set schedule to turn grid on/off.

Attachments

• IMG_3202.png
    IMG_3202.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 3
I sure wish someone would settle this issue one way or the other -- Can the 6500EX 'provide additional power from the grid if needed to support loads' or is it ALL or NOTHING. Repeated e-mails and web correspondence to SS provides no response. Maybe they think it is to trivial to address or that it has been answered too many time, but I have made repeated searches on the forum with no results. This is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on an order. I am not interested in an inverter that throws away solar just because I need 3 and only have 2.
No it cannot. If you pull more than the inverter is rated it will overload and either shut down or fall back to the grid for everything (depend on your configuration).

I’m using a wifi breaker purchased from Aliexpress to achieve this. It supports set schedule to turn grid on/off.
I manually switched off/on the ac input breaker during cheap rate elec for my 11kw inverter for around 6 months before it blew some caps which , according to my vendor, was due to inrush current when switching the breaker on without first switching the inverter off as part of the normal system shutdown sequence. Like you I purchased wifi breakers but I'm wary of using them as it was costly to have the inverter repaired as the operation although automatic could potentially have the same result. A cursory search on google throws up inrush current limiters but I dont know enough to give me confidence that it wouldn't damage the inverter again.

Back