diy solar

diy solar

Huge Battery sale!

He mistyped. They don't sell 400Ah 12v batteries. It's a 12v 4x100Ah kit. Here's the direct link to the deal he speaks of:

Ahh… then no big sale… as you said, plenty 100Ah at and below that price.

Op didn’t read the fine print
I read it I just had 4 and 400 in my head. My apologies the typo. It's a large sale for the company. I never said it was the cheapest current price of any competition. From what I have found your going to pay $236 up for a decent reputable battery. If you have a more affordable quality battery for less I'm game ?

IMO, comparing those super-cheap brands to something like the Aolithium is like comparing apples to oranges. "You get what you pay for".

Andy from off-grid garage studied/reviewed the Aolithium and found the cells to be extremely well-balanced for a mid-budget battery. Any of the super cheap ones are going to likely have balance issues, issues which will only get worse over time. And some of them don't even have a BMS that performs passive balancing.

To be fair, $840 compared to $1200 is not insignificant, but it might be you end up kicking yourself for saving a few hundred bucks when you start having problems down the road due to balance issues alone. If you intend to put 4x100Ah in parallel, then perhaps less of an issue, but if you intend to put them in series...well don't say I didn't tell you so. An equalizer will help keep the 4 balanced with each other, but within each battery if the four cells are out of balance, then your whole bank is going to suffer. If you want 48v, just buy a 48v battery and save yourself a headache. There really is very very little benefit to putting 4 12v batteries in series to get 48v. "But I want the freedom to break the pack apart and I might use them as 12v or 24v someday!"...well that freedom isn't free and is going to cost you more money in the long run.
Yes I been leaning towards matching battery volts to inverter volts for that very reason. It just makes more sense to me. I ordered these to run a couple of 24v mini-systems so only two batteries in each bank. Hopefully balancing won't be that big of a problem?

Yes I been leaning towards matching battery volts to inverter volts for that very reason. It just makes more sense to me. I ordered these to run a couple of 24v mini-systems so only two batteries in each bank. Hopefully balancing won't be that big of a problem?

You’ll want a battery “equalizer”, which will keep two 12v connected in series (for 24v) to stay balanced with each other. The equalizer devices aren’t that expensive nor complicated to use.

If you don’t use one of these devices, your 24v bank will start out fine, but over time they will start to get out of balance with each others and you’ll start to notice problems like BMS protection being triggered in one or born batteries.

I read it I just had 4 and 400 in my head. My apologies the typo. It's a large sale for the company. I never said it was the cheapest current price of any competition. From what I have found your going to pay $236 up for a decent reputable battery. If you have a more affordable quality battery for less I'm game ?

I get it, you’re excited and all these numbers get thrown around on this forum. No worries and thanks for clarifying this.

It’s still a good deal, IMO. These Aolithium batteries were also reviewed by @Will Prowse and he had good things to say about them.

What’s the deal with the 48v packs?
I swear Will had posted a bunch of photos with cells that were way out of balance and the BMS showing 100%SOC until a load was connected but they disappeared...
Edit - found them. @Tomthumb62 in case you miss the edit.

I was about to ask too as that's what I am looking for.

If you read the other thread with Will’s comments about the Aolithium 48v packs they sound just poorly designed and built. Which is a shame because their 12v packs are excellent.

At that price would it be worth purchasing and adding a seperate active balancer?

$236? Very much doubt finding a "decent reputable battery" at that price point, you would be in deep budget / random quality territory. SOK would be considered the cheapest decent reputable battery and they are in the 450 range, similar to AO lithium.

Lol, "decent reputable battery" are just words. While I agree with you that taking the gamble with these super cheap budget batteries isn't worth the risk/hassle, for some people a $236 that meets 80% of their expectations would be considered "reputable" and "decent".

I wanted better than that and compared SOK, Aolithium and Powerurus. I think SOK is the best of the three and Powerurus perhaps the worst, but even the Powerurus is heads and tails better than any $236 battery. I went with Powerurus because:

• $730 total for 12v 200Ah, bluetooth BMS 200A. @Will Prowse gave a glowing review to the 100Ah version (except he didn't like the sticky foam inside the case, which all that foam is perfect for my bumpy mobile setting) and it's one of the few 12v lithium batteries he recommends on his website. Free shipping, no tax, free 10A charger (the charger will be helpful this winter)
  • Powerurus customer service has knocked my socks off. They have answered my literal 15-20 questions I have asked them, a few before the sale, but most of them after the sale. They reply usually within 24 hours, sometimes longer when they have to contact one of their engineers to answer some of my more technical questions.
The SOK was about $1000 for similar. Aolithium only comes in 100Ah versions (200A BMS though, which 2x100Ah in parallel gives 400A...impressive but overkill for my use case) and physically fitting 2x100Ah in the tight space I have to put it was not going to work, plus the Aolithium at the time was not quite as good of a deal as the Powerurus. Powerurus nailed it in terms of quality and price, at least for me. So glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Weize, because that thing is now a piece of junk, according to Will's latest teardown of it!

My only real gripe of the Powerurus is the cells are not perfectly balanced, but they are not horribly so either. Unless you build your own pack or pay a high premium for perfectly matched cells, this is going to be the case with mid to low-budget lifepo4 batteries. @sunshine_eggo has given me sage advice on how to use my Victron IP22 charger as a bench power supply to slowly edge the four cells back into better balance. Even just a few weeks of using his method has improved my battery. I used to get BMS cutoff at 14.0v due to one cell being higher than the others, but now the BMS doesn't cut out anymore at 14.0v and it completes the charge through the absorption and float stages. I'm happy about this. I might try to see if I can push it to 14.2v next spring, but even if I don't, I am very pleased with this battery. The bluetooth range is decent - I can sometimes get a connection in my large pickup truck with a canopy with the battery installed on the floor in the back of a 17' trailer, with several pieces of furniture and metal walls in the line of sight. Sometimes it catches the connection in the cab of the truck just long enough to get a read on the status of the battery, then drops a few minutes later. This is impressive in my book.

That's not what I am reading. I'm reading that Will is over-emphasizing issues that would not actually be an issue for the typical user and discarding the battery as "junk" because of two avoidable conditions.

He spends a good deal of his review video talking about the jumper leads and how he does not like them. Solution - order single units instead of a group, then you get long leads and can connect it to your existing bus bar (or get a high current bus bar for very cheap). There is no material price difference. He also discusses how he does not like the rack - alternate server rack options are easy to come by and relatively inexpensive.

The second issue he has highlighted is how the unit self-depleted. It sounds like how he described it he left the unit powered on and not connected to any charge source, likely for over a month. No normal buyer is spending thousands on batteries to leave them powered on, sitting on a shelf. If the BMS does not count the parasitic draw from the BMS itself towards the SOC yes that is an issue but for your typical installation the daily charge it would receive via solar would absolutely dominate any parasitic draw.

Outside the US right now the 48v AOlithium pack is by far the cheapest ready to go product in its category. An SOK with a screen is $1,200 MORE per unit. Is the "perfect" cabling and a non-issue BMS issue worth paying $4,800 more for a 20kWh bank?
Not really, you can get almost 3 times the capacity from Amy.

Fully assembled but will weigh close to 300 lbs. This is the price she quoted before shipping. And these were the prices shipped to my door.

That said, I have not received my units yet and I do wish the BMS issue did not exist, but for the price I can't justify looking elsewhere. No single user has been able to post any evidence that the cells themselves or the performance is or is not good, that is what matters.

After watching Will's review and teardown of the AOlithium 100ah unit with Bluetooth I bought one today to replace a tired old Trojan Group 31 AGM battery in my camp trailer. $337 with tax and shipping to California - they are quoting about 2 weeks for delivery. Thats about half of what I expected to pay for a LiFePO battery with a good BMS and bluetooth connectivity and $100 less than buying another Trojan (which weighs nearly 75b lbs btw!)

Back