diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid inverters

I'd go for the MPP solar personally. MPPs are a reasonably known quantity, and can be configured with lithium batteries in mind, and if you buy one from the local authorised seller you get actual support too. Not as cheap doing it via local auth reseller, but you won't get any tech support etc from the ebay drop shipper you are purchasing that no-name unit from either (PowMr is a well known rip off cloner brand).

I'd go for the MPP solar personally. MPPs are a reasonably known quantity, and can be configured with lithium batteries in mind, and if you buy one from the local authorised seller you get actual support too. Not as cheap doing it via local auth reseller, but you won't get any tech support etc from the ebay drop shipper you are purchasing that no-name unit from either (PowMr is a well known rip off cloner brand).
Thank you
I'll go with this one

The first one is a Hybrid inverter. That means it will run as a backup when the grid goes down, batteries are required for that, so you can add them later.

The second one is just a MPPT solar inverter.

The first one has more good options. It is dependent on what you are looking to do. If the power in your area goes out a lot I would definitely choose the first, but you would have to buy some type of battery. With the second one if the power goes out you have not power even on a sunny day.

I have 12 of these solar panels in the photo, I was going to run them in two strings of six, just wandering what size fuse I should run from solar panels to the inverter. I also have 2000 amp hours of lead acid batteries, that's 10x 200 amps, wandering what size fuse to use between the inverter and batteries? Thanks in advance if anyone can help
P.s says optimal charge of batteries is 14.8 but will be running them at 24 volt, 1000 amps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-150114_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200628-150114_Chrome.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200628-145447_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200628-145447_eBay.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 6
I have 12 of these solar panels in the photo, I was going to run them in two strings of six, just wandering what size fuse I should run from solar panels to the inverter. I also have 2000 amp hours of lead acid batteries, that's 10x 200 amps, wandering what size fuse to use between the inverter and batteries? Thanks in advance if anyone can help
P.s says optimal charge of batteries is 14.8 but will be running them at 24 volt, 1000 amps.

Attachments

• 20200628_151608.jpg
    20200628_151608.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 8
The second one is just a MPPT solar inverter.

Not sure I know what you mean or are getting at. The MPP Solar is a Hybrid unit. It has a MPPT solar charge controller, inverter, and battery charger built in. It is very customizable with it's many settings and has decent support should it fail. Batteries are optional but the unit does have connections for them.

Not sure I know what you mean or are getting at. The MPP Solar is a Hybrid unit. It has a MPPT solar charge controller, inverter, and battery charger built in. It is very customizable with it's many settings and has decent support should it fail. Batteries are optional but the unit does have connections for them.
Just want advice on what fuse i should put on solar panels side of mpp unit and one on battery side of unit ?
Thax

Fusing on the PV side is an interesting thing and it will come down to how your wire your panels and your MPP's PV current rating. Your MPP is a high PV voltage model so you could put all 12 of your panels in series and still be safely within the 500V rating, leaving you with array current being about 17 amps. That's likely miles below the max PV amp rating for your model MPP.

Good pratice, as well as a desire to wring all the power from the array as you can, says your PV wiring should be rated to handle at least 20 amps continuous in this configuration. With all these points in consideration, there simply isn't a fuse that you can fit between the array and the MPP that will offer any protection to the MPP and the wiring, and not nuisance blow all the time. You should definitely have an isolation switch / breaker rated to handle the voltage and current between the array and the MPP to allow for safe disconnection of the array.

If you aren't familiar and comfortable with high voltage DC you probably shouldn't take the all panels in series approach. It'll be somewhere around 300VDC open circuit, more than enough to draw and sustain an arc and certainly enough to put you in the ground if you manage to place yourself across it.

On the battery side, the manual for the MPP will advise a suitable sized fuse, based on seeing the spec in other MPP manuals but if it doesn't it can be calculated.

Back