diy solar

diy solar

I am building a 48V 3072Wh 1500W solar generator

Supervstech

Administrator
Staff member
I started with a Ridgid rolling case.
20240224_170139.jpg
I have the cells set in, and the bms leads all routed and tied in place, protected with plastic corrogated sheeth.

Anybody see anything i need to address so far?

It is only 60Ah, so im not too concerned with arc flash failure. A good fuse will be installed.

I have din rail DC breakers i plan to use. 60A should be fine to cover any surge the inverter can draw.

Attachments

• 20240224_170149.jpg
    20240224_170149.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240224_162258.jpg
    20240224_162258.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240224_162250.jpg
    20240224_162250.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 37
At first I'm like well I guess he's not worried about cell expansion affecting cycle life and then saw they were polymer. Do they move around in the case?

Love it!

Working on something similar with smaller cells. However, these 60Ah cells sure look like the sweet spot in terms of capacity and charge/discharge rates.

Maybe taping the cells together and using some foam between the case and the cells?

What do you have in mind for the fuse and the circuit breaker?

Last edited:
Perhaps an SCC mounted on one of the sides, and then it's a full solar generator just connect panels? I'm still working on a plan using packout modules, using a packout crate with multiple mppts and busbars etc as the "core" with outboard batteries connected via sb175s.

I have not decided if i wanna install foam or not.
These are winston style polymer cells. Super durable.
The thing is HEAVY very difficult to lift.
It usually sits in the office, but i do carry it to jobsites occasionally.
I wanna install a decent charge controller. I may make it external, and just plug into an anderson connection.
I have a bamboo cutting board resting on the cell studs under the inverter.
As soon as i have a wiring scenario for the fuse i will proceed with the build.

What would you guys recommend as a next step? Buss bar? Cell mounting?

Are adding an in switch, a shunt,?

Edit:
These were already answered
SCC, and connectors for panels?

I think yours weighs around 80 lbs. Any problems rolling it in that case?

What gauge wire are you using there? I'd go bus bar next let the Winston's do their thing they don't need coddling and compression and secret whispers like the aluminium cans

How do you like the busbars?

I only saw that used as grounding strap when I was an electronic technician.

Was thinking more along the lines of preventing the cells from moving around inside the case, potentially stressing the flexible busbars or connections in general.

I can imagine with 60Ah, things do become heavy to move. Just a thought, maybe it would be a good idea to split the design into two halves?

The battery with all of the system wiring, fuses, and connectors inside the box with XT90 ports for components.

Then have the components installed on a separate board that can be placed in the box, where you can just plug the components into their intended XT90 ports. This way you could carry less weight at a time.

Since at 1500W we are talking roughly 30A, XT90 connectors should be plenty.

Was thinking more along the lines of preventing the cells from moving around inside the case, potentially stressing the flexible busbars or connections in general.

I can imagine with 60Ah, things do become heavy to move. Just a thought, maybe it would be a good idea to split the design into two halves?

The battery with all of the system wiring, fuses, and connectors inside the box with XT90 ports for components.

Then have the components installed on a separate board that can be placed in the box, where you can just plug the components into their intended XT90 ports. This way you could carry less weight at a time.

Since at 1500W we are talking roughly 30A, XT90 connectors should be plenty.
XT90's need to be soldered. I like crimp connectors.
Far easier.
50A anderson sets are easy.

Last edited:
nice build.
may i ask about source of flexible busbar?

finding a nice nickel plated flexible busbar would help with some of my own build goals. rigid busbar can convert vibration into loosened connections over time

finding a nice nickel plated flexible busbar would help with some of my own build goals. rigid busbar can convert vibration into loosened connections over time
I have tried nickel plating normal busbars with electrolysis and it is easy, but I’m not sure how well it will work on the inner strands.

nice build.
may i ask about source of flexible busbar?

I found a similar set on eBay…

Back