diy solar

diy solar

I have stuffed up. I need more usable amps with 24v system

kojak65

Hey guys, im in need of some advice i have copied Mr wills version of this DIY https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/2000-watt-24v-solar-system.html too the T. After realizing i just dont have enough amperage too run all the electrical needed and that this is a series system in 24 volt. I have 2 x 100 amp lithium batterys.

How do i add more batterys too add more total amps an what is needed. what parts would need changing ect.
Can i keep it 24v an add more total amp hours some how?

If i were too convert back too 12v system i need another inverter that is not 24v.

Would it just be a case of putting the batterys in parallel.

Sorry for the broken English an explanation of the issues. Would appreciate any help an suggestions.

cheers.

edit ive just noticed the mention of do not use battery protect in the notes which was not there when i built this system last year. is there any particular reason?

. I have 2 x 100 amp lithium batterys.

How do i add more batterys too add more total amps an what is needed. what parts would need changing ect.
Can i keep it 24v an add more total amp hours some how?

Would it just be a case of putting the batterys in parallel.
Sorry for the broken English an explanation of the issues. Would appreciate any help an suggestions.
Are your two 100Ah batteries made by Battle Born or DIY?

How many Ah do you think you need to run everything?

they are solar king batterys 100amp.

overall i need 200amps.

When i built the system this was very confusing untill Will come along. It still is :) but i did make the mistake of series vs parallel.

After looking over his 12v systems this looks like it is a pretty easy switch around with a few swap outs of system parts.

What appliance are you trying and failing to run?
What is its rated draw in watts?

get 2 more and make 2x 24 volt batteries in parallel. Each 24 volt battery is 2x 12 volt batteries in series.

This is for a campervan, in series i have a usable amperage of 100amps im running a 128L fridge atm an its not enough too last over night.

Now I understand.
You need more watt hours.
Answer is the same though.

This is for a campervan, in series i have a usable amperage of 100amps im running a 128L fridge atm an its not enough too last over night.
How much are these 12 volt 100Ah Solar King batteries each?
Do you have enough solar panels to charge 200Ah of batteries every day to run that fridge?
Is that 128L fridge DC or 120V / 240V AC?

Last edited:
100 amp hours * 25.6 nominal volts * 0.8 Depth of discharge = 2048 watt hours.
You should get a shunt and measure how much that fridge is actually using.
Might be the cheaper option to get a better fridge.

I just ran a 23cu ft (650L) samsung residential fridge for 5 days after severe storms took out rural power at friends property on a single 120ah battery with 400w of solar. On days of clouds I would need some generator backup. It used about 850wh overnight.

Compare that with my campers fridge at 1.7cu ft (48L) that uses about 250wh overnight.

So a fridge 5x smaller should not be using 1/6 of your batteries by morning.

Last edited:
How much are these 12 volt 100Ah Solar King batteries each?
Do you have enough solar panels to charge 200Ah of batteries every day to run that fridge?

i have 500w on the roof 2x 250w charges in about 3hrs

First, we need to be using Amp-hours and Watt-hours here. Amps are not a measure of battery campacity they are an measure of flow / current.

Second, I think you need to do some investigating, something isn't adding up. With a bit over 2000Wh usable capacity, and 500W of solar, a medium sized fridge should not be draining your batteries overnight.

What model fridge is it? What other power consumers do you have? if the fridge is run through an inverter what model is it?

i have confirmed with the store i bought it from the fridge uses about 50 amps over a 12 hour period. 4 to 5 amps.
I have 100 usable amps thats 50% of my battery.

Just going too swap over too parallel batterys.

i have confirmed with the store i bought it from the fridge uses about 50 amps over a 12 hour period. 4 to 5 amps.
I have 100 usable amps thats 50% of my battery.

Lol no...what a fridge uses varies wildly first of all. It might use 50A (1200wh) if it ran nonstop. A fridge only runs maybe 10-20 minutes an hour. So dived that by 3-5.

Lol no...what a fridge uses varies wildly first of all. It might use 50A (1200wh) if it ran nonstop. A fridge only runs maybe 10-20 minutes an hour. So dived that by 3-5.
His fridge specs and more like 20 minutes to 30 minutes an hour run time.
Maybe 700 watt hours?

Vehicle ConnectionCigarette Lighter,Merit
Current Draw1.9A-3.8A
Lead Length2.2m
Required Voltage12V-24V
Lead Included
Power Rating
Continuous Power60W

Thats terrible first of all. But its still nowhere near 1200wh overnight. Like Insaid I ran a 650 liter/ 23cu ft full size 120v fridge and it only used about 1700wh a day.

Last edited:

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Changing you existing batteries from series to parallel will do nothing to extend your fridges runtime. You will have twice the Amp-hour capacity, but at half the voltage, meaning the same amount of stored energy. Amps cannot be compared between different voltages. What matters here is Watts and Watt-hours, and changing your battery configuration without adding capacity will not help.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Changing you existing batteries from series to parallel will do nothing to extend your fridges runtime. You will have twice the Amp-hour capacity, but at half the voltage, meaning the same amount of stored energy. Amps cannot be compared between different voltages. What matters here is Watts and Watt-hours, and changing your battery configuration without adding capacity will not help.

so add more batterys in series if i need more amp hour?

atm i run the fridge threw 12v would it make a difference if i ran it threw the inverter? since the system is in 24v config

Back