diy solar

diy solar

Increase existing production without new permit/inspection

Vince2

I have a 32A SMA (SB 7.7 41) inverter that is maxed out on 10K panels. Producing about 12.4K a year. The permitting and inspection was a pain for this system so I wonder if there is a way of squeezing out a little bit more without needing to go through another obstacle course. According to net metering agreement, if I don't change the capacity of the system, I'm fine. I interpret that if I stay with a 32A inverter, I am ok, since everything down stream remains the same. So, if I increase my inverter to a Growatt 10K or add another 32A SMA but derate it to 32A (together) and add another 10K in panels, my production in morning, evening and winter months should increase. I hope to get another 4K to break even a year. Has anyone else tried this and been satisfied with the increased production, or should I bite the bullet and do the obstacle course again.

Has anyone else tried this and been satisfied with the increased production, or should I bite the bullet and do the obstacle course again.
I have not done exactly that but my plan may have similarities. I got permitted for a 8kW grid tie system and a PTO under NEM 2.0 a couple of years ago. I am in the final stages of completing the permitting process for a SolArk 12k with 20 kWh of batteries which will be AC coupled to the 8kW grid tie system. Once my building permit is finalled I am adding another 3kW of DC coupled solar but will try to limit the output of that solar so I do not increase the AC output by more than the 1kW allowed under my NEM agreement. My main array is SW facing and the additional capacity is West facing so I am avoiding increasing the peak output but extending the period of production later into the afternoon and early evening.

I am not planning on asking for permission from my utility for the additional capacity or the addition of the SolArk or the batteries under a backup loophole that I believe exists. It is a gray area but at least I am complying with the building codes by pulling a permit and the risk with the utility is that my installation is a breach of the terms of my NEM agreement which is only a contract violation. It is a calculated risk that I have assessed and decided the downside is a lot less than the upside of the additional flexibility and added production, most of which I will self consume. I have two EVs, use heat pumps for heat and plan on converting my cooktop to an induction cooktop.

Last edited:
Back