diy solar

diy solar

Increasing charging/discharging amperage capacity

Rosstafarian

Good morning,
I have clearance from the tower to install a summer array in our backyard which will increase my solar panel power by 3000-4000 watts depending on which panels I purchase. With these panels my total solar will be 15k-16k.
So, I could be pushing 300amps charging?
Last summer I pushed 225 amps.
I run all my dc power through a Schneider pdp (see photo) which has a 250 amp breaker. I cannot find a larger breaker that fits this pdp.

Also, I can only run one a/c unit, my 5ton, if the 3 ton turns on it trips the 250 amp breaker. I have a micro air soft start on the 5 ton, works great. I am able to run the 5 ton all afternoon and fully charge batteries that will get me almost through the night. It would be nice to run both AC units during the day.

How do I increase the size of this breaker?

Attachments

• IMG_3613.jpeg
    IMG_3613.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3614.jpeg
    IMG_3614.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 5
Is that the Mini PDP? Don't think it is designed for multiple DC input breakers. Its not just the breaker, there is a limit to how much current the DC bus can carry.

You may need to look at the full size PDP or something from Midnight Solar.

Is that the Mini PDP? Don't think it is designed for multiple DC input breakers. Its not just the breaker, there is a limit to how much current the DC bus can carry.

You may need to look at the full size PDP or something from Midnight Solar.
How can you have more than one dc breaker for your battery feed? I’m not opposed to upgrading all of this. Not thrilled with the Growatt. Also thought of having the new array strictly run one or two mini splits.

DC can be set up with parallel feeds. For example, if you have 2 inverters they could be set up each with its own 250A DC breaker.

Using the existing DC bus bars on the wall shown in the pic, there would be 2 sets of Red-Black wires going up to the 2 x 250A breakers. Each breaker would feed one inverter. This is actually the correct way to configure a multiple inverter system then each inverter is protected by a breaker of the proper size for its ratings and internal bussing.

Likewise with 3 inverters. While its true multi-inverter systems need to share the battery bank, its perfectly acceptable to combine all batteries with suitable bus bars then split the feed out to more than 1 breaker.

EDIT: Best practices is to keep cable lengths close to the same length and make sure none of the connections has excessive resistance.

DC can be set up with parallel feeds. For example, if you have 2 inverters they could be set up each with its own 250A DC breaker.

Using the existing DC bus bars on the wall shown in the pic, there would be 2 sets of Red-Black wires going up to the 2 x 250A breakers. Each breaker would feed one inverter. This is actually the correct way to configure a multiple inverter system then each inverter is protected by a breaker of the proper size for its ratings and internal bussing.

Likewise with 3 inverters. While its true multi-inverter systems need to share the battery bank, its perfectly acceptable to combine all batteries with suitable bus bars then split the feed out to more than 1 breaker.

EDIT: Best practices is to keep cable lengths close to the same length and make sure none of the connections has excessive resistance.
Thank you. That makes sense.

So I’m mulling this over.
What if I hooked up my Victron charge controllers to another pdp with its own 250 amp breaker. Leave the Growatt on the Schneider mini pdp. Really like the way the Schneider works, maybe have 2 of them?

Back