diy solar

diy solar

IntegraRack: Ground Mount with Epoxy Ground Stakes and Ballast Options

Will Prowse

Forum Owner
Staff member

I loved putting this together. Was not tired at all after doing four panels.

These epoxy ground stakes... Is anyone else doing this? I can't believe how strong they are.

And the water ballast is a new idea... If it doesn't leak. I guess they are cheap so you can put a few for added redundancy.

What did you guys think of the setup? We should have some ground mount options coming to market this year. Hoping to see what you guys like.

I'm not yet well versed in ground mounts, but this one sure appeals to me. Not having to dig into clay soil with rocks the size of a small truck means a discount on the sweat equity. There are already enough of those rocks and gravel laying about to hold it down.

I do agree with about the caps, but that for me is a minor complaint compared to digging my ground!

Quick and easy @Will Prowse ! I'd consider it for a temporary install (and you know what happens when you call it temporary).

But my OCD got me when you drilled into your beautiful clean concrete! Are you keeping it there for a while?

Looks like an awesome idea. Less parts required, easy to add on to

The Chiko 24 panel ground mount ends up being ~$155/panel for just the rack cost alone.
Power racks are $85/ea (the plastic tubs you fill with earth)

The eg4 brightmount retails for $379 and may be the closest competitor. The rails on that are 15’ long though. This would allow me to have only the length needed

Will you also be carrying the IR-G rack?

I think I’ll stick with oil pipe but this should catch on well imo

I like it.

The less you value your time the more attractive home building your racking is. If you value your time over $2/hr then homebuilding will never pan out. If you have a full time job and want to order something that will show at your door in a few days that you can have going the next day then this is pretty impressive.

I'll also mention that not everyone has an infinite amount of time to spare to save a few dollars, or several hundred feet of leftover oilfield pipe at thier fingertips. And that's ok, let's not do the passive aggressive thing and beat up on something because it not simultaneously cheaper than homebuilding and a 100% perfect fit for every application.

I do really like the panel mounting method but the metal seems thin, I'd be curious of the thickness.

I'd like to do this same test with my brother's SV95S to see what would fail first.
Screenshot_20240419-204243.jpg

I agree it's likely a great option for some but still feel it's overpriced by at least $200.

Comes out to 37 cents/Watt using 370W panels, 25 c/W for 550W panels. Seems competitive using large panels plus cost savings of not needing to rent and operate pile driver machine. Panel attachment method seemed awkward at first but that ratchet wrench makes it work.

Comes out to 37 cents/Watt using 370W panels, 25 c/W for 550W panels. Seems competitive using large panels plus cost savings of not needing to rent and operate pile driver machine. Panel attachment method seemed awkward at first but that ratchet wrench makes it work.
Well I'm easting my words a little bit...
Just figured out the math on my DIY tilting ground mount made with pressure treated lumber, concrete and Unistrut.
$0.256/W for 5180W of panels.

So I take back my comments of it being overpriced; it definitely seems reasonable.

The tilting feature of mine definitely has a value being able to tilt steep enough to harvest rated output in the dead of winter; however the simplicity of this for those in optimal altitudes and cost is very nice.

Interestingly, the competitor (BrightMount) is already on the move to provide a tilting option.

PRE-ORDER: Expected To Ship Early-June

New Feature: Adjustable Angle! (25-35 Degree Adjustment)

Quick and easy @Will Prowse ! I'd consider it for a temporary install (and you know what happens when you call it temporary).

But my OCD got me when you drilled into your beautiful clean concrete! Are you keeping it there for a while?
No, still waiting on permits for my lab. It's delayed by seven months now I think. Nightmare working on this project with the city. Constant revisions and back and forth.

Once my lab is in, I'm going to rip all these panels up and mount them elsewhere

I'd really like something easier to install like this but a key benefit of all the concrete hassle is I can get the brightmount up high enough to get a weedwhacker under it.

With these I'd end up having to kneel down and yank grass out by hand or something. Could try and use ground cloth or rock cover but dirt will still blow end and stuff end up growing probably.

So going by current comments, people really just want the cheapest possible rack. Is there anything else you guys care about?

And clearance for snow and weedwhacker

More efficient panels to use less mounting space would be nice 😉

Built it grounding termination points and bonding clamp hardware would be nice.

A mounting point for a combiner box could be useful for some.

Ever see those DIY workbench kits at the hardware store that you just add 2x4s and make a bench?
I could see something like that that uses pipe or strut to put together your own rack being a hot seller if implemented correctly. Would keep shipping costs low and allow end use to source the pipe / strut locally.

Back