diy solar

diy solar

Interesting battery overcharging - Video idea Nuking some old FLA batteries

HighTechLab

AKA Dexter - CTO of Current Connected, LLC
So I met up with Will last week and we talked about a pretty cool video idea I had - I've got a few pallets of old lead acid batteries, and nothing useful to do with them...I was thinking we could make some interesting videos hitting them with 120v AC as well as clipping on the welding machine, possibly a shotgun? Let's take these dead batteries apart and learn what we can about lead-acid.

I was searching around on youtube to see if anyone has done anything quite like this yet, and this video is all I could find. This guy has only like a 7 or 9ah 12v VRLA alarm battery - I have some massive size 8D batteries...I'm sure it would be a lot more interesting with a bigger battery.

Here is what my battery collection looks like - and since this video I have a whole pallet more of batteries!!!!

There is always a need for battery destruction videos :D

Oh man, I can't wait. And wow that guy is brave! I can't believe he was doing that. I have a tiny power supply that I want to destroy some lithium batteries with, but I am scared it will make a mess. And I don't want to hurt the environment....

I wonder how we can contain a battery explosion in a safe manner? Are you going to build a battery blow-up station?

With so many batteries to use as victims, maybe try some of the mythical ways of resurrecting a sulphated battery ... and when those ways fail as they always do, you can still blow them up.

I wonder how we can contain a battery explosion in a safe manner?
Perhaps you could get help from Nellis Air Force base or the LV bomb squad? FBI there must run all sorts of anti-terrorist drills too. Between them they ought to have facilities to do such things safety and know how to protect the environment. Might start with the police, I suspect every police force in the world needs as much good press as possible and, I'm sure they like to blow stuff up too. If there's a fee setup a blow-it-up fund, I expect a lot of folks would chip in for it.

Besides, there are too many witnesses here for them to drop a black-hood over your head and drag you off to Guantanamo. ;)

Don’t lead acid batteries vent hydrogen gas?? ? ? I’ve seen the steel hood of an FJ 40 Toyota buckle upwards from a battery explosion.
Insane to be standing that close.

You won't be conducting these tests (legitimately) without some massive permits and huge expenses. Good idea though.

Don’t lead acid batteries vent hydrogen gas?? ? ? I’ve seen the steel hood of an FJ 40 Toyota buckle upwards from a battery explosion.
Insane to be standing that close.
Yes they do, when living in Phoenix, I had a battery blow itself up under the hood.... Guessing water level too low in the cells, exposing the plates. Hit the starter, draw large number of amps, get spark in battery, boom. What a mess that was.....

Blowing up these old batteries would be fun, but where do you take what's left when done? No one is going to want that stuff unless you live by a battery recycling center.

This is starting to sound like a video from the Crazy Russian Hacker.

"Let's pour an entire container of liquid nitrogen in the pool and see what happens!"
"Now that this gummy bear has been saturated with water and is 20 times it's original size, let's see what happens when I stuff an explosive in it!"

This is starting to sound like a video from the Crazy Russian Hacker.

"Let's pour an entire container of liquid nitrogen in the pool and see what happens!"
"Now that this gummy bear has been saturated with water and is 20 times it's original size, let's see what happens when I stuff an explosive in it!"

Where are the Myth busters these days? They blew up everything.

Back