diy solar

diy solar

Inverter Bypass Switch

JeffG

I am designing a dual Victron 3000va inverter system for my 50 Amp fifth wheel. My question is for the people that have had solar/inverter systems in place for a while. Have you ever needed, or do you recommend putting in, a bypass switch in case your inverters need work while on shore/generator power? My initial thought is that I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, just looking for real world experience to justify the extra cost/real estate.

TYIA for all the feedback!

Jeff

It's Victron you can rely on it. The problem is with batteries as the inverter needs power to start and run. I've found putting a 12v charger or something would work to get the system online if batteries fail.

On my Quattros if any issues I could easily unscrew the lugs and connect the in and out together, thus bypassing the inverter. Not sure how it works with the ones without lugs.

Good point on just connecting the input and output lugs if I needed to work on the inverters. Thanks for the feedback!

Yes leave a little extra slack in the connections to reroute if needed. Carry the proper wire nuts.
Otherwise ya just do without. :cool:

I’m going to be using another interlockit.com breaker interlock for just this reason. One ‘grid’ and two ‘generators’ is non-standard, but they’ve been very helpful in helping me determine what I need and making something (semi)custom.

I’m going to be using another interlockit.com breaker interlock for just this reason. One ‘grid’ and two ‘generators’ is non-standard, but they’ve been very helpful in helping me determine what I need and making something (semi)custom.
I’ll check them out, thanks for the info.

Back