diy solar

diy solar

IQ envoy need to be on the same panel as solar input?

roblowe

Hi,

I have the solar input from the roof going my main circuit breaker/electrical panel.

I'd like to install the IQ envoy on a sub panel. Will that create communication issues? I have 20A 240V breaker available on the subpanel

Thanks
Rob

On mine, the envoy is outside and the wires come in to the panel on a standard breaker.
As far as I know this can be on the main or sub panel.

It depends on how much interference (electrical noise) and the distance between the main panel and subpanel. If the signal strength of the Power Line Modulation is degraded by the time it gets to the subpanel then you will get either No or Intermittent, unreliable data transmission from the microinverters to the Envoy. There is no harm in trying to connect at the subpanel, if it doesn't work then you will have to make space in the main panel. Perhaps using tandom breakers. Note: that most manufactures specify a maximum number of tandom breakers allowed in the panel.

Since we have an Insteon home automation system that also uses PLM for device communication, I had to isolate the Enphase system with a TDK line filter.

It's best to connect Envoy in the same panel to avoid current and future potential Enphase comms issues and the expensive filter.

How sensitive is the communication?

I already have an older system with M series inverters and original Envoy and have not had much issues using powerline ethernet adapters

I'm trying to install the IQ Envoy for my new string with IQ7+ inverters

Back