diy solar

diy solar

Is Docan Power having quality issues with their welded studs?

pelicanpebble

I got 8 EVE LF304 from Amy at Docan Power. Before assembling the cells, I asked her what torque to use to avoid damaging the welded terminals. Her answer was: "The normal torque <6N.m"

To be safe, I set my torque wrench to 5 Nm. While tightening the nuts I encountered an odd phenomenon: As I was tightening the nut the resistance became greater. OK so far. But as I continued to tighten to reach the set torque, I found the resistance of the nut DECREASING. I was stumped but decided is was probably the thin connections for the BMS settling into place. After continuing to turn a bit more, the torque wrench triggered. All seemed fine.

It went like this for 6 cells. - On the 7th cell, the bolt snapped right off. I.e. the core material of the bolt broke. It did not pull out the bolt from terminal as you often read.

I opened one of the previously tightened bolts and found the reason for the decreasing resistance: The bolts have all elongated, thinned and started to fracture! The bolts are fracturing between the base and the position where the nut was. Where the nut was, the bolt is perfectly fine.

WTF? Did anybody else experience this with Docan Power supplied cells? I was so stunned that I went and had my torque wrench checked at a local machine shop: It works perfectly fine. It was even a bit conservative measuring in at 4.8 Nm.

Was the 6 Nm torque recommendation the problem? Did anybody else use 5 Nm or 6 Nm successfully? Or did I have the unfortunate experience of receiving cells with bolts that were of lower quality than Docan Power was intending to use? How can a M6 stainless steel bolt break that is sitting in aluminium rather than just pull out? Are they made of butter? I am not even remotely strong enough to break an M6 stainless steel bolt.

I contacted Amy at Docan Power with a request to replace the cells under warranty. I am curious to see how that goes.

In case anybody is interested, here are some pictures. Sorry for the quality in two of them. I could not get it to focus properly for every picture no matter how much I tried.

Picture 1: Undamaged bolt (cell 8 which was not yet assembled)
Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2: Bolt that exhibited decreasing resistance to tightening the nut: Bolt is stretched and has started breaking.
Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3: Broken off bolt.
Picture 3.jpg

I have gotten some LF280Ks and LF304s from Docan recently. I've not had problems with bolt or weld strength up to 10Nm across the cells. The only problem I had is one of the LF280Ks had no threads on the top half of the stud.

I got 8 EVE LF304 from Amy at Docan Power. Before assembling the cells, I asked her what torque to use to avoid damaging the welded terminals. Her answer was: "The normal torque <6N.m"

To be safe, I set my torque wrench to 5 Nm. While tightening the nuts I encountered an odd phenomenon: As I was tightening the nut the resistance became greater. OK so far. But as I continued to tighten to reach the set torque, I found the resistance of the nut DECREASING. I was stumped but decided is was probably the thin connections for the BMS settling into place. After continuing to turn a bit more, the torque wrench triggered. All seemed fine.

It went like this for 6 cells. - On the 7th cell, the bolt snapped right off. I.e. the core material of the bolt broke. It did not pull out the bolt from terminal as you often read.

I opened one of the previously tightened bolts and found the reason for the decreasing resistance: The bolts have all elongated, thinned and started to fracture! The bolts are fracturing between the base and the position where the nut was. Where the nut was, the bolt is perfectly fine.

WTF? Did anybody else experience this with Docan Power supplied cells? I was so stunned that I went and had my torque wrench checked at a local machine shop: It works perfectly fine. It was even a bit conservative measuring in at 4.8 Nm.

Was the 6 Nm torque recommendation the problem? Did anybody else use 5 Nm or 6 Nm successfully? Or did I have the unfortunate experience of receiving cells with bolts that were of lower quality than Docan Power was intending to use? How can a M6 stainless steel bolt break that is sitting in aluminium rather than just pull out? Are they made of butter? I am not even remotely strong enough to break an M6 stainless steel bolt.

I contacted Amy at Docan Power with a request to replace the cells under warranty. I am curious to see how that goes.

In case anybody is interested, here are some pictures. Sorry for the quality in two of them. I could not get it to focus properly for every picture no matter how much I tried.

Picture 1: Undamaged bolt (cell 8 which was not yet assembled)
View attachment 152538

Picture 2: Bolt that exhibited decreasing resistance to tightening the nut: Bolt is stretched and has started breaking.
View attachment 152540

Picture 3: Broken off bolt.
View attachment 152541

dang that steel is not strong at all.

I imagine that Docan will not be happy to see they got some crappy metal Chinese threaded studs from whoever they bought them from. But yeah it should not break like that.

Did you happen to use "nylock" type nuts?
It happend to me on two different types of cells with nylock nuts. Using serrated flange nuts worked out better for me.

That’s an M6 size steel stud. The white zinc appears to be unblemished so it probably wasn’t overheated(annealed) from the welding process of the aluminum button. Are you absolutely sure your torque wrench is set correctly or not malfunctioning?

That’s an M6 size steel stud. The white zinc appears to be unblemished so it probably wasn’t overheated(annealed) from the welding process of the aluminum button. Are you absolutely sure your torque wrench is set correctly or not malfunctioning?
did you not read the part where he took it to a machine shop to have its calibration checked?

did you not read the part where he took it to a machine shop to have its calibration checked?
Who certified the machine shop? Was the tool a $20 driver or a $300 wrench? I don't think any of that matters much. This is one case, it's more telling if it's an isolated case or is common with this batch of cells.

Who certified the machine shop? Was the tool a $20 driver or a $300 wrench? I don't think any of that matters much. This is one case, it's more telling if it's an isolated case or is common with this batch of cells.
better question who certified you and made you master of the universe?

Back