diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible to use a Cerbo GX Rpi to read BMS data without the Cerbo GX Rpi controlling charging?

featherlite

Solar Enthusiast
Currently, my set up is installed inside a converted cargo trailer and includes:

1. An Overkill 4s BMS,
2. A Rpi running the Cerbo GX Venus software,
3. Two Victron SmartSolar Charge Controllers
4. A Victron Smart shunt, and
5. A not yet installed Overkill USB interface Module and the associated cable to connect the BMS to the Cerbo Gx Rpi, as shown in the below image:

1712258966270.png

Currently, the two SCCs and the Shunt are networked via VE.Smart networking. The Cerbo GX Rpi communicates with my iPhone and Macbook using a router, not connected to the internet.

Is it possible to use the Cerbo GX Rpi to merely read the BMS data without the Cerbo GX Rpi or the BMS controlling the charging?

For now, I want my existing Victron set up to continue controlling all charging, as is, without relying on any BMS data.

Thank you, your input is appreciated.

Yes. You do not use it as a controlling BMS in DVCC (select no bms control)

1712287715529.png

and you select it as a battery monitor in system setup (bms should show as a battery monitor)

1712287770866.png

This is the RPi that I had the JBD connected to, but it's not connected anymore, so I'm just showing you the screens you'll pick from.

I searched the web and have been reading how to install Louis’s software onto my Rpi so that I can read my overkill BMS data on my Rpi.

So far, it appears that there are two ways to download the software:

1. By flashing a USB drive, or
2. By using terminal commands and installing over SSH.

Does anybody know if there is an easier “third” alternative method to download the software, maybe like using something like “Set Up Helper”?

I am not experienced with flashing USBs or using terminal commands. I have used terminal commands but it took me a loooong time to figure things out.

Consequently, I am looking for an easier softer way. If there is no third way, I will persevere.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

Below are three photos depicting what I already have on my Rpi.

1712426036461.png

1712426067301.png
The photo below shows only a few of the inactive packages, the rest are hidden below.

1712426098612.png

Halleluia!

Once I figured out how to use terminal commands to open the Rpi, by typing in "ssh root@192.168.1.23", it only took about 5 minutes to get my Overkill BMS data to show up in the Venus software, as shown in the screen shot below:
1712509305402.png

Like sunshine said "crazy easy".!

However, me being part moron, it took me about three hours to figure out that my SD card loaded with the Venus software had to remain in the Rpi, rather than having been removed by me and then inserted into my laptop as I tried repeatedly to access the software with terminal commands. Duh!!!

Halleluia!

Once I figured out how to use terminal commands to open the Rpi, by typing in "ssh root@192.168.1.23", it only took about 5 minutes to get my Overkill BMS data to show up in the Venus software, as shown in the screen shot below:
View attachment 207714

Like sunshine said "crazy easy".!

However, me being part moron, it took me about three hours to figure out that my SD card loaded with the Venus software had to remain in the Rpi, rather than having been removed by me and then inserted into my laptop as I tried repeatedly to access the software with terminal commands. Duh!!!
BTW on all our rpi deployments once setup we clone the SD card and tape it to the inside case of the pi. Micro SD cards constantly fail.

Thank you for that most excellent advice!

Have you ever cloned an SD card using a Mac (i.e., OS) operating system?
Nope we use win32diskimager. I have a ton of installs that use SD cards and usb sticks. We just build it, remove the SD card, clone then put a sticker on it with the date and version then tape to inside of cases. Easy enough we can have a random datacenter guy swap them out for us and saves me a flight. Enterprise systems like truenas and esxi use the SD for boot and run everything in memory so barely reads from SD but i doubt this is how venusOS works as PIs only have 8gb max ram.

Back