diy solar

diy solar

Is it the beginning of the end for Solark?

Usually the more the problems with something, the more post you will see about a brand online.

Something to think about....

Usually the more the problems with something, the more post you will see about a brand online.

Something to think about....
Yes presumably if someone has an issue with solark their us support will handle without having to go online and beg for help/escalation/support.

So if one was off grid, two sunny island 6048-US can deliver split phase...any other equipment needed on the SMA side?

Or one SI and an auto-transformer.

You'll want Sunny Boys (other Rule 21 GT PV can be used, but SB set for offgrid is better.) Or DC coupled PV (use a battery shunt, unless you use Midnight Classic, with data interface, and SI firmware is old enough.)

Load-shed relay highly recommended, so low-voltage disconnect not hit. Ideally switch big loads based on SoC as well. Want to avoid black-start issue, also nice to keep critical loads always powered, so disconnect less important loads when necessary.

A nice setup is 2x SI 6048 plus 24kW of SB5000US ... SB8000US.
SMA would recommend 200 Ah battery minimum for 2x SI, or 2400 Ah for 24kW SB, but you can get away with a lot less at least if AGM. I have about 1/3 of recommended size.

Using lithium, BMS needs to support surge (22kW for 2x SI), and any load-dump without going over-voltage of a cell; that is probably an SoC management issue.

Isn't the sunny island discontinued by SMA? I thought I read that somewhere recently. Might be mistaken though.

Someone else said that, but I've seen no indication.
I think their European 8.0H model is current. I've expected them to bring that to the US after selling out 6048US, but that's just a guess.
They did discontinue Sunny Boy -41, an supply has dried up. But Sunny Boy Smart Energy completely replaces it, an upgrade in specs, available supposedly January after certifications done. I'm waiting to see it on CEC list. Cost higher at least in the beginning than SB. Batteries unfortunately expensive; it's support for overpaneling to 200% and charging batteries is great. (of course, SolArk etc. can probably have inverter limited to 50% of PV for same effect, while fitting within 120% rule of a 200A panel.)

They may be going all-in on HV HF inverter. Certainly that's where the bulk of consumer market will be. But not being able to start an A/C is a big deal; will they have somebody do Easy Start for each customer?

Midnight, they know how to do surge. And will parallel. Don't think SMA has considered supporting parallel SBSE.

Many of us are hoping to see you give your blessings to EG4 PowerPro on Sunny Island.
How it behaves with Sunny Boy and load-dump will be important.

Isn't the sunny island discontinued by SMA? I thought I read that somewhere recently. Might be mistaken though.

So if one was off grid, two sunny island 6048-US can deliver split phase...any other equipment needed on the SMA side?

Offgrid, "discontinued" can be a good thing.

SI 6048US used to be on CEC list, is no longer because not UL-1741 SA.
Same goes for older Sunny Boys; sometimes you can find new old stock.
Bargains abound.

I recently saw an eBay listing for one of those DC solar boxes, 2x SI 6048US + Midnight Classic 250 with DC and AC breaker panels, just over $4000 delivered. That gets you started, and keep your eye out for Sunny Boys to add on.

Offgrid, I'd seriously consider 3-phase, 3x SI. But it looks like using single-phase Sunny Boys is the way to go, it took me considerable effort to interface the higher voltage 277/408Y TriPower. For European voltages, everything natively works together.

That is only possible if the offgrid inverter is capable of powering the entire house 24/7. If you followed the conversation and didn’t cherry pic certain things than you would understand how that’s irrelevant. ?For most homes in the USA that requires a very large expensive offgrid inverter and a huge expensive battery bank. pass thru or grid support is irrelevant at that point. Really having a grid connection at all is almost irrelevant if it’s don’t that way.
I was not cherry picking. I believe that any honest definition of off grid would preclude any continuous grid connection. I know the term is misused almost continuously- but how can you consider yourself off grid if you are actually connected to the grid?

I was not cherry picking. I believe that any honest definition of off grid would preclude any continuous grid connection. I know the term is misused almost continuously- but how can you consider yourself off grid if you are actually connected to the grid?
An honest definition of off grid is not being debated. I never considered myself offgrid, to the contrary I use grid tie zero export inverters. that’s the entire premise of my comments.

Back