diy solar

diy solar

Is it too late to become an electrical engineer?

Crazyankles

I’ve been in healthcare for 16 years. I’ve always had love for science, physics and all things electrical. It’s ALL Will’s fault! ? haha! Reading his book and building a small off-grid system has “sparked” ?.. an inspiration to pursue a career in “solar installation” or “building cool-rigs” that are useful to people. I don’t need to be the boss, I just want to build and have a career that involves challenging my brain in this field. What should I take in school or trade? Who should I call and speak to about a possible apprenticeship? It’s never too late. We get one shot at life and we all should follow our hearts out here. You guys are awesome! Best forum ever! Thanks again to Will. Lol! ???

I
@Crazyankles On what part of this planet do you reside? It would assist in recommending resources you can access.
I currently live in Bucks County Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia. In two years I’ll be looking to relocate, maybe less. I’m sure location is a huge factor. There ARE quite a few solar companies around, beginning to convert homes. I feel like Solar is still at the starting line for residential. People are beginning to wake up.

On the philosophical side, it's never to late to become anything you want to become if you are willing to put in the time to learn the field. You didn't come from the womb trained to work in healthcare either. The only thing stopping you from becoming anything is you. A better place to start investigating this is the Bucks County Community College web page. They'll let you sign up for classes any time you like! LOL!!!

I went to Kent State 2 years ago because I wanted to take a music production class that taught how to use Pro Tools. The bonus for me was that I am old and was allowed to audit the class, meaning I didn't have to do assignments. I DID most of them but that was for personal growth. You aren't that old though so you'll have to pay.

I just want to relate this to you. When I was still playing full time I had at least one person every gig come up to me and say "I wish I could play keyboards like you." And my answer was always the same. "Why can't you? It's just repetition. Take a dozen lessons to learn some basics and then it's up to you. You willing to practice 3-4 hours every day? I wasn't born knowing how to play. You can do this if you want to." And I'd usually end with a laugh by saying "You'll never be as good as me, but...." If you really want to do that, go for it.

I'll even give you the LINK!!

Last edited:
On the philosophical side, it's never to late to become anything you want to become if you are willing to put in the time to learn the field. You didn't come from the womb trailed to work in healthcare either. The only thing stopping you from becoming anything is you. A better place to start investigating this is the Bucks County Community College web page. They'll let you sign up for classes any time you like! LOL!!!

I went to Kent State 2 years ago because I wanted to take a music production class that taught how to use Pro Tools. The bonus for me was that I am old and was allowed to audit the class, meaning I didn't have to do assignments. I DID most of them but that was for personal growth. You aren't that old though so you'll have to pay.

I just want to relate this to you. When I was still playing full time I had at least one person every gig come up to me and say "I wish I could play keyboards like you." And my answer was always the same. "Why can't you? It's just repetition. Take a dozen lessons to learn some basics and then it's up to you. You willing to practice 3-4 hours every day? I wasn't born knowing how to play. You can do this if you want to." And I'd usually end with a laugh by saying "You'll never be as good as me, but...." If you really want to do that, go for it.

I'll even give you the LINK!!
Thank you very much, your words are inspirational and motivating. I will research some classes and talk to a few people already in the field, where I’d like to be working, and go from there.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Will doesn't have any electrical degrees, so there's that. I have about 20 credits left to obtain mine. Unfortunately for me, I started mine while I was doing an OTJ apprenticeship for an electrical trade that paid for my schooling as long as I kept a 3.0. I then decided to leave that power company and have traveled working the last 10years and have had a really tough time taking the plunge back to college mode, because I work so damn much.

If the fruit is worth the labor, have at it.

Take it from someone who likewise changed gears but a few years ago... it is indeed, never too late.

I am 63, and after retiring from a career in law enforcement, I was sitting around getting bored... and so I went back to school and became an RN. I love the work! I wish now that I would have made the jump years before.

I was only one of five men among the 120 nursing students... ( that was just hell... ? ) and even without having spent a single previous day in medicine, I graduated top in my class.

Go for it !!!

I spent 16 years in the Marines, 2 years in hospitals & drunk,
Someone smacked me in the head and asked if my disability was... brain damage?

Dain Bramage might have been part of it ;) but it's what I needed to get off my butt and start over!

Scrounge up some wire, magnets, batteries, a magnetic compass etc and start messing around!

I suggest you start at the beginning, some simple experiments, try here...
https://books.google.com/books/abou...AAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button
And download the book (For FREE!)
It's full of simple explanations of electrical history and simple experiments that will teach you the basics.

Did I mention the FREE, cheap, simple stuff?

I recently heard a story of an 82 year old who decided to open a pie bakery. Being as wise as you are at that age, he loaded them up with liquor and they sold like hotcakes, being successful very quickly.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Will doesn't have any electrical degrees, so there's that. I have about 20 credits left to obtain mine. Unfortunately for me, I started mine while I was doing an OTJ apprenticeship for an electrical trade that paid for my schooling as long as I kept a 3.0. I then decided to leave that power company and have traveled working the last 10years and have had a really tough time taking the plunge back to college mode, because I work so damn much.

Thank you also, you’re so close!

Thank you also, you’re so close. We’ve never met but I’m proud of you. You’re doing the right thing. Sacrifice today for a better tomorrow, strong work. Funny about Will Haha! Idk what he has either, he’s just crazy smart. Building robots since he was 13 lol not me.. and I’ll start walking the path and see if the juice is worth the squeeze ???

I spent 16 years in the Marines, 2 years in hospitals & drunk,
Someone smacked me in the head and asked if my disability was... brain damage?

Dain Bramage might have been part of it ;) but it's what I needed to get off my butt and start over!

Scrounge up some wire, magnets, batteries, a magnetic compass etc and start messing around!

I suggest you start at the beginning, some simple experiments, try here...
https://books.google.com/books/abou...AAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button
And download the book (For FREE!)
It's full of simple explanations of electrical history and simple experiments that will teach you the basics.

Did I mention the FREE, cheap, simple stuff?
I really appreciate the advice, I will definitely look into it. Thanks to his videos and this forum, I am currently building that “classic 400 W” system that’s in his book. So far it’s great and a lot of fun. I’ve never made it this far in life before, I don’t know what’s going to happen next. But I’m happy you got everything straightened out, you had a rough start and turn it around. Great job!

Take it from someone who likewise changed gears but a few years ago... it is indeed, never too late.

I am 63, and after retiring from a career in law enforcement, I was sitting around getting bored... and so I went back to school and became an RN. I love the work! I wish now that I would have made the jump years before.

I was only one of five men among the 120 nursing students... ( that was just hell... ? ) and even without having spent a single previous day in medicine, I graduated top in my class.

Go for it !!!
That’s great! You have a lot of life left, and you dedicated a few years so that the kids would be a blessing and rewarding. Great job! I’m currently in Radiology and I do love it, but idk, Maybe the second half of my life involves electrical engineering or solar set ups. Who knows, but thank you for the advice.

I’ve been in healthcare for 16 years. I’ve always had love for science, physics and all things electrical. It’s ALL Will’s fault! ? haha! Reading his book and building a small off-grid system has “sparked” ?.. an inspiration to pursue a career in “solar installation” or “building cool-rigs” that are useful to people. I don’t need to be the boss, I just want to build and have a career that involves challenging my brain in this field. What should I take in school or trade? Who should I call and speak to about a possible apprenticeship? It’s never too late. We get one shot at life and we all should follow our hearts out here. You guys are awesome! Best forum ever! Thanks again to Will. Lol! ???
It you want to be an actual full-up electrical "engineer" you're looking at a minimum of a 4 year degree, filled with classes that don't really relate (depth and breadth classes) that are a real PITA to knock out. I never actually finished mine.

Like the others have said it's never too late to start. I was active duty Air Force until the age of 40 as a radar operator, with a side of network admin and home tinkerer I'd gone to a vo-tech high school and had the basics but that was a long damn time ago. After a "oh shit" in the sandbox I was medically retired and took an intensive electronics vocational training "boot camp" type course equivalent to a 2 year degree but without all the unnecessary fluff.

Took 9 months. 9 damn hard super-accelerated months. But when it's done, it's done. And now 13 years later I'm making damn good money and I enjoy what I do a lot.

If you want to be a electronics 'technician' (which it sounds like you do) I encourage you to go to a hands-on vocational training course. You can do what I did with a accelerated course, or you can take a normal course. BTW, I've heard Intel will put you through electronics school and give you a job afterwards. I met a couple of guys like that during my training and it sounded like a good way to go. Other tech companies might do the equivalent.
Or you can ask around electronics shops about apprenticeships, IMO I dont recommend this as you learn very slowly and you never get the background you need to actually understand what you're doing.

I was graduated with a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology in 1974. During my career, I designed everything from a 9 cent utility switch to a reactor monitoring system for the navy's nuclear submarines. It was a fun career and very rewarding. If you really think you want to become an engineer, go for it. You can always change you mind later if you find it's not what you want.

@Crazyankles Here is the short answer that sums up nearly every day of my life since I was a child.

Love learning! Learn every day. If you have a passion for something, learn it.

I spend at least two hours a day learning. When I am 400 years old, I'll continue to learn. I am forever a student.

Today we have the Internet with vast amounts of knowledge and information, and the ability to talk to communities like this one in your home. We have a ton of free course available for those who prefer a particular form. Books are a click away. Check out your library online.

To learn or not learn... no brainer. What to learn? Whatever you have a passion for, or are curious about today.

Turn career possibilities into hobbies. Turn hobbies into careers. @Will Prowse recently said something like this in a video: "I can't believe I'm getting paid to do what I love!" Learn... dream.... live!

Could be a giant mistake. Live your dream. but it may not be economically viable. Your non specific goal of being an engineer is a concern. Have you done any self education toward your desired interest. You are on the edge of being to old to make it viable. You loose 4 years of income, have to pay for education and living expenses. Resume searches are by computer and you won't fit the typical search. There are always jobs for those who will work cheap and willing to travel. That doesn't require extensive education. I talked with a recruiter who said he had dozens of highly qualified engineers he couldn't find jobs for because they were over 50. Use your medical experience and complement it with some technical education. Biomedical has a lot of opportinities.

Back