diy solar

diy solar

Is there a site that displays yearly solar path for a given GPS coordinate?

IslandBill

I'm on the island of Roatan; 16.348199, -86.467057

I just noticed that the sun is north of my position and having panels facing south at an angle of 16 degrees would be detrimental to solar collection right now. I went looking for a site that can show me the solar path over my position for the entire year so that I might compensate for it by welding up a manually adjusted tilting mechanism for better collection on about 8kW of panels.

Does such a site exist?

I believe there's an app you can get for your phone that will let you see forecast position in augmented reality.

Suncalc.org is what I'm after and it shows the sun's path just north of me at present. There are only about 3 weeks where we can shut off the A/C during the year, so I'll be designing a tilt mechanism to weld up.

Thank you for the information.

I believe there's an app you can get for your phone that will let you see forecast position in augmented reality.
I use sun surveyor for this. I boondock fulltime and seeing the AR path of the sun helps me position the campervan in any given site.

I am on the island of Roatan; 16.348199,
On the solstice, June 21 the azimuth will be 23.5 so the perfect angle on that day for your Latitude would be tilted 8 degrees North off horizontal. Either way you want a few degrees tilt to allow water to run off and not allow silt to collect at the edges where the panel glass meets the frame.

Last edited:
Seems to be Apple only. I'm on Android.

On the solstice, June 21 the azimuth will be 23.5 so the perfect angle on that day for your Latitude would be tilted 8 degrees North off horizontal. Either way you want a few degrees tilt to allow water to run off and not allow silt to collect at the edges where the panel glass meets the frame.
I entered June 1 @ noon into suncalc.org and it gives the reciprocal of 8 as the altitude for North. Checks out!

Back