diy solar

diy solar

Is there a Victron MPPT -> EG4 Battery guide/tech doc?

patssle

I'm considering pairing a Victron Smartsolar MPPT with an EG4 LifePower4 Rack. I've been reading about the different BMS and communication systems from each manufacturer but nothing that really talks about connecting the two together and guiding through that process. It's not just plug them together then configure the battery specs on the Victron through the app or PC connection - is it that easy?

There is no option for communication unless a cerbo is in the mix. If a cerbo is in the mix, the BMS passes controlling information to the Cerbo, and it's all taken care of for you, BUT you should still set the MPPT to the correct parameters if comms are lost.

MPPT alone:
Fast charge, 3.55-3.60V/cell, 30 minute fixed absorption.
Slow charge, 3.45V/cell, 2 hour absorption.
Float 3.375V/cell.

Both get you to 100%. If slow charge works for you, it is generally accepted that the slower full charge maximizes cycle life.

If you just want to charge the batteries, it is very simple.
But if you want them to communicate (unnecessary) with each other, that's where it can be complicated.

If you just want to charge the batteries, it is very simple.
But if you want them to communicate (unnecessary) with each other, that's where it can be complicated.
Yeah just charging is all I really need - it's an entry level system for backup. I'll have an inverter (Victron Phoenix) for battery output. I'll use the MPPT bluetooth for monitoring.

I guess I was confused why the EG4 LL mentions Victron communications and invertersrus mentions programming the Victron for EG4. But I take it's just for the charging settings then - not actual communications between the two without the Cerbo.

Yeah just charging is all I really need - it's an entry level system for backup. I'll have an inverter (Victron Phoenix) for battery output. I'll use the MPPT bluetooth for monitoring.

I guess I was confused why the EG4 LL mentions Victron communications and invertersrus mentions programming the Victron for EG4. But I take it's just for the charging settings then - not actual communications between the two without the Cerbo.
I have no idea if they can communicate.
But communication isn't required for functioning.

I am on the final legs of my installation and started to read on the configuration for my Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT, which will be connected to my (3) EG4 48V batteries.

I don't have access to the Victron as I type this, but I am curious: are the recommendation below per cell? So would I need to multiple x16 for the 48V EG4?

And will I need to setup voltage and time?

I guess it will make more sense once I read the settings off the Victron MPPT...

MPPT alone:
Fast charge, 3.55-3.60V/cell, 30 minute fixed absorption.
Slow charge, 3.45V/cell, 2 hour absorption.
Float 3.375V/cell.

Both get you to 100%. If slow charge works for you, it is generally accepted that the slower full charge maximizes cycle life.

I am on the final legs of my installation and started to read on the configuration for my Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT, which will be connected to my (3) EG4 48V batteries.

I don't have access to the Victron as I type this, but I am curious: are the recommendation below per cell? So would I need to multiple x16 for the 48V EG4?

And will I need to setup voltage and time?

I guess it will make more sense once I read the settings off the Victron MPPT...
Per cell, so multiply by 16

Phoenix inverters don't support ve.bus or battery comms that I know of, versus a multiplus or quattro. But they work just fine based on voltage.

Phoenix inverters don't support ve.bus or battery comms that I know of, versus a multiplus or quattro. But they work just fine based on voltage.

Depends. The larger Phoenix 12/3000 and 24/3000 do have VE.Bus and can be paralleled.

The smaller ones have VE.Direct.

As I understand it, a VE.Direct Phoenix can be connected to a cerbo, but it is not managed like a VE.Bus inverter. You can access information about it in the Cerbo device list and see any information reported there and remotely toggle on/off.

Depends. The larger Phoenix 12/3000 and 24/3000 do have VE.Bus and can be paralleled.

The smaller ones have VE.Direct.

As I understand it, a VE.Direct Phoenix can be connected to a cerbo, but it is not managed like a VE.Bus inverter. You can access information about it in the Cerbo device list and see any information reported there and remotely toggle on/off.
The ve.direct Phoenix can have its settings adjusted via Cerbo and Victron Connect, however its quite limited, doesn't do assistants etc or other things you'd expect a ve.bus inverter to do

Screenshot_20240501_194746.jpg

Back