diy solar

diy solar

Issue with panels overheating.

AnonAnonymous

So I've read that there are problems with panels overheating especially cheap flexible panels. What are your thoughts on mounting panels to a DIY heat sink with computer fans in a roof rack system.

It should be pretty simple to use a aluminum sheet metal mount as a heat sink with some cheap pc fans for cooling, like a laptop cooling pad only larger. You could wire it to the solar panels directly so they only run when the solar panels are working. Thoughts?

You should just think of the flex panels as disposable. All of them will start to cup because the laminates used cant stop that force. Only way your going to bleed of heat is getting as much of the panel in contact with the plate...so a glue...does not sound fun.

You should just think of the flex panels as disposable. All of them will start to cup because the laminates used cant stop that force. Only way your going to bleed of heat is getting as much of the panel in contact with the plate...so a glue...does not sound fun.
True, but the mounting cooling pad wouldn't be disposable, would it help the panels last longer? I agree glue wouldn't be ideal, probably would use bolts to hold it down. It's mainly for when the vehicle isn't moving or there's not enough airflow to keep the panel cool anyway.

Use them til they fail (inevitable:() Never glue them flat to anything, they need cooling air. Then invest in mono or poly glass panels that last for years.?
I learned my lesson. ??

Seems like you're making a simple thing more complicated than necessary. Why not simply bolt standard panels to the roof rack?
That's what I'm thinking; however if you had the materials and more time than money it could be a solution.

Learned my lesson. Flex panels bad

Attachments

• IMG_20191018_135301265.jpg
    IMG_20191018_135301265.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 15
Back