diy solar

diy solar

JK-BMS-CAN with new Cut-Off Charging Logic (open-source)

I have started the logging, but it's not replicating the issues anymore at 35A - weird
Maybe you are at a different soc and "knee" of the soc/voltage characteristic?

I'd expect this to show issues near fully discharged of fully charged status

But show the "error" or "error bit mask" over the latest 24 hours... I believe this is also available In Home assistant

Any obvious error related to cell overvoltage or current? Otherwise maybe Bluetooth connection dropped, latency issue between Esp32 and jk bms (and / or Mqtt) ?
The ESP is right next to the JKBMS, - if it loses connection i know immediately furthermore it will start to discharge as indicated by my meter which i am currently sat next to and i can see the Bluetooth becomes available to connect to if that happens.

I am not using MQTT.

This isn't what I'm after. On the device information page for each ESP32, you have the error sensor.

Additionally, that screenshot you always share showing combined info for both BMSs... that doesn't give much useful information.
A dashboard per BMS showing the below would be much more useful:
- Requested charge voltage
- Requested charge current
- Requested discharge current
- Actual battery voltage
- Actual battery current
- Charging status
- Max cell voltage
- Min cell voltage
- Errors
- ESP32 uptime
- Cell overvoltage protection voltage
- Cell overvoltage protection release voltage
- Cell undervoltage protection voltage
- Cell undervoltage protection release voltage

The ESP is right next to the JKBMS, - if it loses connection i know immediately furthermore it will start to discharge as indicated by my meter which i am currently sat next to and i can see the Bluetooth becomes available to connect to if that happens.

I am not using MQTT.
Uhm... I also had some issues with Esp32 sometimes falling offline.

Mqtt or not a 0.28s latency is very high.

I'm wondering if the code automatically sends the Inverter a STOP command in case the communication with jk bms is lost / response time is too high (fail safe feature)

Any obvious error related to cell overvoltage or current? Otherwise maybe Bluetooth connection dropped, latency issue between Esp32 and jk bms (and / or Mqtt) ?
It will also not read these values - the interface would completly disconnect

1710337228319.png

so it trickles at the negative values for a few seconds and then starts to charge again at 900w then back to 0w then those values again
i can explain that one is negative and the other positive because its trying to balance its self out as you can see there is a voltage difference between the 2 bms's

It will also not read these values - the interface would completly disconnect

View attachment 201868

so it trickles at the negative values for a few seconds and then starts to charge again at 900w then back to 0w then those values again
i can explain that one is negative and the other positive because its trying to balance its self out as you can see there is a voltage difference between the 2 bms's
I had a voltage issue as well. Disable charge/discharge, let it rest for a few minutes, then measure the open circuit voltage with a trustworthy multimeter (at no load condition) and set that in the jk bms app to calibrate each bms. I had an offset of 0.7V between my two batteries.

Current reading, especially at such low level, can also be highly inaccurate. Probably one LSB flip / bms adc resolution is enough to trigger those. Might as well be noise

This isn't what I'm after. On the device information page for each ESP32, you have the error sensor.

Additionally, that screenshot you always share showing combined info for both BMSs... that doesn't give much useful information.
A dashboard per BMS showing the below would be much more useful:
- Requested charge voltage
- Requested charge current
- Requested discharge current
- Actual battery voltage
- Actual battery current
- Charging status
- Max cell voltage
- Min cell voltage
- Errors
- ESP32 uptime
- Cell overvoltage protection voltage
- Cell overvoltage protection release voltage
- Cell undervoltage protection voltage
- Cell undervoltage protection release voltage
1710337516073.png
1710337609171.png
1710337644253.png

# Edit
jk-bms-ble-can cell voltage overvoltage protection - 4.29
jk-bms-ble-can cell voltage overvoltage recovery - 4.12

jk-bms-ble-can cell voltage undervoltage protection - 2.79
jk-bms-ble-can cell voltage undervoltage recovery - 2.8

You think this might be to do with the Grid supply?

bcos i noticed it does it more when there is no sun....

if all of that charge current is coming from solar it stays stable

just a thought

Ok. I am leaning towards this being an inverter configuration issue.
There's nothing to suggest that cells are approaching OVPR during the day as requested charge current is very stable.

The fact you say this happens when PV power is reduced - this suggests that you're only getting charge current into the batteries from PV.
You can set time of use slots as per your earlier post, but has it been enabled? Are you seeing grid draw during this period?

These are areas you will need to investigate.

There's nothing to suggest that cells are approaching OVPR during the day as requested charge current is very stable.

The fact you say this happens when PV power is reduced - this suggests that you're only getting charge current into the batteries from PV.
You can set time of use slots as per your earlier post, but has it been enabled? Are you seeing grid draw during this period?

There might also be grid related power limits settings in the inverter (unsure for your brand of inverter).

There is maximum EXPORT in my inverter then under time of use I set the maximum power I IMPORT based on time of use and soc value.

But of course it depends if it's being controlled in power mode (charge at constant power until fully charged) , soc mode (charge until a given soc value), voltage mode (keep batteries at a minimum voltage etc).

The Deye had some settings for time of use that were a bit tricky if you set the timers incorrectly at least. I'm not using that function anyways...

When time of you is active - yes the power comes solely from grid at night , but during the day , a combination of PV and Grid.

1710339049577.png
1710339100858.png

1710339140940.png

right now for the purpose of testing, i did set it to charge from grid. but as the testing is over it has stopped
Now, it is a combination of battery discharge (which i have no issues with) and power from PV

next thing i will try is the user define settings instead of the Pylontech protocol - maybe its a protection settings on the Pylon

When time of you is active - yes the power comes solely from grid at night , but during the day , a combination of PV and Grid.

View attachment 201880
View attachment 201881

View attachment 201882

right now for the purpose of testing, i did set it to charge from grid. but as the testing is over it has stopped
Now, it is a combination of battery discharge (which i have no issues with) and power from PV

next thing i will try is the user define settings instead of the Pylontech protocol - maybe its a protection settings on the Pylon
Nothing indicates it's an issue with the pylontech settings on the inverter.
Did it charge fully last night as expected on the 00:00 to 05:30 slot?

If so, what has changed between then and now?
If not, why didn't it charge during that overnight slot? Is the reason also affecting daytime grid charging?

i have now switched to User-Defined Settings

bfor the switch - here are the Pylon values
1710339811436.png
1710339842991.png
1710339880657.png

......and here is the current User-Define settings i will be using

1710339933733.png

I will start charging and report the result here...

Back