diy solar

diy solar

Joining two panels using aluminum angle

steviep19

Due to shading in the winter, I have12 panels I move from one position in the yard to another position in the yard which as the sun get's lower does not get shade.

These panels are simply resting 2x4's on top of two square cinder blocks.
1697774485930.png

I was thinking. If i purchased aluminum angle and put two panels together lengthwise, I could save a bit of room, and possible add an additional row of panels. They would still be resting on cinder blocks (maybe 3 high if stable). 4 panels wide by 2 panels long. It's fenced in, and close to the ground so wind isn't really a factor.

The thing I'm worried about is if I did put two panel's together lengthwise, would they be able to support their own weight? I'm not sure how strong the aluminum frame of the panel are. Nor can I find any data on it.

any thoughts?

The panels would hold their static weight it's the angle or the way it attaches to the panel frame that might fail.

All of this is only a static consideration. With wind your current setup is already unsafe.

The panels would hold their static weight it's the angle or the way it attaches to the panel frame that might fail.

All of this is only a static consideration. With wind your current setup is already unsafe.

hwy17,

Thanks, I wasn't sure how strong the aluminum frame was. Didn't want to wake up one morning to shattered glass on all the panels.

You bring up a good point. With the added surface area and weight although wind has never been an issue in the past, I could secure the panels to an aluminum bar, then then attach that to aluminum rod's pounded into the ground in both locations. Probably look better too.

I did build one permanent ground mount, which I attached this way

1697810530840.png

Back