diy solar

diy solar

Kilovault PLC 2100 capacity loss in cold

MoodyM

Has anyone else noted severe capacity loss in the Kilovault PLC’s when the temp drops to around 50 degrees? The battery specs show they should maintain 90%+, but we’re seeing more like 40%.
Hearing similar stories from others.
Anyone else?

Yes, the cc is set to -30mv/degree C.
Settings from Kilovault state 28.4 bulk/absorb for 24v.
Can you explain how you come to 14.85/ 29.7?

Varying datasheets show bulk/absorb of 14.1-14.4.

If at 14.44, -30mV/°C would put the absorption at 14.85V/12V. It's not something you should set it to, but it's something you should see on the controller.

How long are you in absorption and what is the absorption current just prior to float?

We're typically seeing bulk/absorption at around 28.7. Absorption time is set to 8 hrs with tail current of 7 amps (1%). Time actually spent in absorption is around an hour most days but varies.

We're typically seeing bulk/absorption at around 28.7. Absorption time is set to 8 hrs with tail current of 7 amps (1%). Time actually spent in absorption is around an hour most days but varies.

Nothing alarming about those numbers, so I would conclude you are configured for proper charging.

7A is 1%? Do you have a total of 8? 2S4P for 24V?

Are the individual 12V at nearly identical voltages throughout their voltage range?

Do you have anything pulling 12V off half the bank?

What is the 40% reference, i.e., what is reporting 40%?

Nothing alarming about those numbers, so I would conclude you are configured for proper charging.

7A is 1%? Do you have a total of 8? 2S4P for 24V?

Are the individual 12V at nearly identical voltages throughout their voltage range?

Do you have anything pulling 12V off half the bank?

What is the 40% reference, i.e., what is reporting 40%?
Yes on the 8. 2S4P off a Victron Lynx.

We tested voltages yesterday. 2 of the strings were slightly off 12.72/12.78 vs 12.75/12.75 for the others. We noted the two with lower voltages had a different batch number than the rest so paired them together.

Nothing is pulling 12V

The battery monitor has voltage dropping to 50% (24.1) after 120ah or so after a full charge. We would have expected 300 or so. 20hr rating is 740.

24.1 At rest. It’s a system that’s been around for a while. We just replaced 4yr old Victron telecoms that actually still had more capacity than what we’re seeing out of these PLC’s. It’s confounding.

I don’t think their life ever started. They just came from the AltE warehouse. The experience of trying to return them is becoming quite the nightmare as well.

Yes, the cc is set to -30mv/degree C.
Settings from Kilovault state 28.4 bulk/absorb for 24v.
Can you explain how you come to 14.85/ 29.7?
Not sure if you have resolved this issue or not. Just found your thread. I have the same batteries and they are close to dead after 18 months. There is a typo in the installation and user manual for the temperature compensation variable. Section 4.1.2 shows the value as you state above: -30mv/degree C.
However, at the end of 4.2.4, it is listed as -3mV/°C
Further, in the integration guide here: https://kilovault.com/wp-content/up...W_Pro_KiloVault_Integration_Guide_May2021.pdf
the value is listed as -3mV/°C at the bottom of advanced settings for the PLC 2100 section.

-3mV/°C appears to be the correct value.

The PLC 2100 was a new product rolled out in March 2020. Kilovault is still figuring it out.

I damaged my batteries by overcharging for several weeks until someone finally found (or wrote) the integration guide and sent it to me. The temperature compensation was the problem. When I entered the correct value, charging appeared to be normal.

Now with the batteries at around 50 deg F., I'm getting almost nothing out of them when charging is removed. With a charge session in the evening just before I go to bed, they cannot maintain above 50% with a mere 5 amp AC load. Pathetic.
Waiting on a response to my warranty claim.

Has anyone else noted severe capacity loss in the Kilovault PLC’s when the temp drops to around 50 degrees? The battery specs show they should maintain 90%+, but we’re seeing more like 40%.
Hearing similar stories from others.
Anyone else?
Hey, realize that this is an old thread, but via ALTE/Kilovault. The temperature compensation value for a 24 volt battery bank is —60mv/degrees C. 12 cells at -5mv/ degree C . (-30 is for a 6 cell 12 volt system.)

Back