diy solar

diy solar

Let's buy an island

erik.calco

Solar Badger
I've always wondered about those little islands that no one lives on. Yeah, they are undoubtedly ravished in a storm. But, could part of it be the economics of moving diesel onto it?

If so, then does solar mean we can build homes on more islands now? Anyone up for New Island Live TV Series Kickstarter to fund the project?

There's quite a few islands off the coast where I am and some of them do have houses on them. Low priced solar has changed everything for them. Previously diesel generators were the only practical power source. One house I stayed at had 12V LA batteries with all electrical being DC. Lights, fan, radio etc. The generator was manually operated, ie start it to charge the batteries and it would shut down automatically on a time of day switch. Now that's all changed. Solar charges lifepo4 batteries and an inverter provides 240v to the house so to all intents the house could be connected to the grid. Mains voltage appliances, fridge, microwave etc.

I've always wondered about those little islands that no one lives on. Yeah, they are undoubtedly ravished in a storm. But, could part of it be the economics of moving diesel onto it?

If so, then does solar mean we can build homes on more islands now? Anyone up for New Island Live TV Series Kickstarter to fund the project?
I'm starting to get the picture that you're a go big or go home guy. (Or is it go small and go remote?...)

I'm not sure about an 'Island'...
Not that I would complain if I had an island.

I worked on a river barge last summer, the folks bought two old river barges, used one to patch up and put a deck on the second, built an 'A' frame house on the back of the deck and planted a garden instead of a front yard and slapped solar panels, both PV & Thermal, on the front of the deck and house roof.

Below deck is a LARGE workshop, storage, what you would expect below deck, lots of room.
The house is nice, very livable.

I like the idea of picking up and moving anytime I felt like it, and since it's a barge, not hard to get a ride either direction or through the locks.
Minnesota to the gulf, or up the Ohio to West Virginia is easy enough...
It was pushed up on a sandbar outside of Owensboro, KY when I saw it last.

I'm not sure about an 'Island'...
Not that I would complain if I had an island.

I worked on a river barge last summer, the folks bought two old river barges, used one to patch up and put a deck on the second, built an 'A' frame house on the back of the deck and planted a garden instead of a front yard and slapped solar panels, both PV & Thermal, on the front of the deck and house roof.

Below deck is a LARGE workshop, storage, what you would expect below deck, lots of room.
The house is nice, very livable.

I like the idea of picking up and moving anytime I felt like it, and since it's a barge, not hard to get a ride either direction or through the locks.
Minnesota to the gulf, or up the Ohio to West Virginia is easy enough...
It was pushed up on a sandbar outside of Owensboro, KY when I saw it last.
You can deliver our groceries.

I liked the next recommended video I saw when I played your original video link on soldering an 18650 pack:

I just wish he detailed what he used as fuses and for the bus bar. The bus bar looks like just a normal bare solid copper wire. Dunno what gauge, though.

EDIT: No idea how I woke up to this post in this thread. @CheezWiz are you having fun? I'll leave it here now that I linked to it from elsewhere.

Last edited:
Hi Erik, I saw this awhile back is this your idea? Seems like a huge undertaking. I see Leonardo DiCaprio invested and purchased the island more than 10 years ago for $1.75 million. 10 years later pricing is going to be higher I suspect.

Inside Leonardo DiCaprio's eco-resort on a private island off the coast of Belize
Blackadore Caye (which is also the name of the island) will feature 36 resort bungalows and 36 estate homes, all of which will be powered by 100% renewable energy harvested from solar panels. Rainwater will be collected and filtered on-site and combined with solar-powered desalinization devices to meet the resort’s water needs. The Times estimated in 2015 that estate home prices will range from $5-$15 million.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 10.28.46 AM.jpg

Hi Erik, I saw this awhile back is this your idea? Seems like a huge undertaking. I see Leonardo DiCaprio invested and purchased the island more than 10 years ago for $1.75 million. 10 years later pricing is going to be higher I suspect.

Inside Leonardo DiCaprio's eco-resort on a private island off the coast of Belize
Blackadore Caye (which is also the name of the island) will feature 36 resort bungalows and 36 estate homes, all of which will be powered by 100% renewable energy harvested from solar panels. Rainwater will be collected and filtered on-site and combined with solar-powered desalinization devices to meet the resort’s water needs. The Times estimated in 2015 that estate home prices will range from $5-$15 million.

View attachment 2604
Great case study! That's why we need a team. ?

Hi Eric, Are you in the television industry since you mentioned New Island Live TV Series Kickstarter?
No. I just know it's an easy potential revenue source to help fund our initiative. They can pay us to watch us build it and capture the drama of a group of former strangers building a new community together. There will definitely be drama! LOL

No. I just know it's an easy potential revenue source to help fund our initiative. They can pay us to watch us build it and capture the drama of a group of former strangers building a new community together. There will definitely be drama! LOL
Is there a particular TV show you are referring to?

Is there a particular TV show you are referring to?
I can't remember the names of the shows, but that genre of "reality" shows. Like, surviving on an island setups. lol

Ours would be unique as we wouldn't be playing games or having a process of elimination. But, if there are enough people on the planet to create an interest in watching us do the impossible, then someone will pay us to let them roll the cameras.

"In today's episode, Will wakes up and tries to find his Tesla. With both of his girlfriends battling, will this have a happy end? Meanwhile, the desalination project has 3 days to get online before they run out of water."

Back