diy solar

diy solar

Lipo 100ah battery in nice case $440 legit on Ebay?

Tropical Farmer

Hi. Buyer accepted my $440 offer for this ebay item: Lithium 12v 100Ah Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery with Home Charger BMS Solar RV
He was asking $530 which still seems cheap.

Is this a good value and how do I check if truly 100ah? Some tester I can buy? I have testers that tell CCA's but not sure how that converts to Amp Hours.
Thanks!

I am skeptical that 100Ah worth of batteries could fit in that case. To really see if it has full power scientifically, you would need something like what I have which you can see in this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/index.php?threads/new-old-stock-50ah-power-curves-these-look-good.179/

You could also get a very good approximation by using the same stuff that Will uses in his videos to test capacity. Just have a look at any of his battery testing posts:

I would ask the seller at what C rate is that capacity guaranteed? .8C or 80 Amps?

Be very wary of anything offered in a case like that or indeed anything that looks like that.
A sealed pack like battleborn can have their problems but this sort of stuff you need to know whats inside !. Its Lithium Ion and therefore 4.2V cells of some sort . I have seen some dreadful examples when opened up so if you are a novice stick with the known stuff .

It comes with a charger but it can only take 8 amps so it will need probably 15 hours or so to recharge .

I would not think binding posts are high Amp connections. Plus its Lithium-ion. Let's hope you never have a runaway.

Besides the price, the weight is half other 100 ah batteries so I suspect some exaggeration. Probably 40-50 ah.

Paypal is real good refunding money or partial payment if I can prove its only 50ah should be no problem to get refund or even half money back. Just minor hassle 20 minutes of emails.

Hoping there was a battery tester I could buy to show amp hours, but guess not.

New Lithium Ion 12v 100Ah Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery with Home Charger Lightweight 15 lbs BMS Solar RV Car Boat Marine Home
Can be Recharged through terminals or with home charger

Lithium-ion Polymer Battery, LiPo
BMS Protection
Amp Hours - 100
Nominal Voltage - 12V
Charging Limiting Voltage - 12.6V
Maximum Charging Voltage - 12.6V
Capacity (Watts) - 1260W
Energy - 1260 WH
Cycle Life - 3000+ Times
Recharging current - 8A
Over discharge protection 8.5-9V
Discharge current (constant current) 80A
Intermittent discharge current: 90A
Power-off protection current: 100A
Certification: CE, MSDS
1 Year Warranty
Product Configuration - Original Charger / Backpack
Product Weight - 15 lbs - 7 kg
Product Size - 12 x 9.5 x 3 in
Protected against over voltage, over charge, short circuit, over tempature, over discharge, over wattage and over power.

Lithium ion -
  • Applications include RV, solar panels, boats, camping, beach, outdoors, construction, backup power, generator, mobile home, caravan, campers, travel trailers, laptops, smart phones iPhone Android Samsung, electronics, laboratory, workplace, prospecting, security systems, science field work, field research, field studies, flashlights, portable motor-driven equipment, industrial sensor systems, emergency lighting and many more.
  • They are lightweight and carry a deep charge
  • They also have the longest life cycle of all the batteries and can be recharged faster and more times over the course of their life

Technically, you could use a hobby RC charger to discharge and charge it back up and monitor how much power goes into it. The power monitors Will uses will certainly get extremely close to actual capacity during a discharge cycle as he does in his videos. Those aren't terribly expensive. This is a great hobby charger: https://www.progressiverc.com/icharger-106b.html
They also make larger ones, but you have to have an ac adapter to go with it. I use a 17v5A adapter for my 106. The 106 tells you how many Ah it puts in while charging. Not exact but close enough.

Lithium chemistry is very unstable. You need good manufacturing to make sure it's not. Do not go 'discount' on your batteries. A used quality lithium is far, far better than a unknown quality knock-off. So much better, that you bet your life on it: A lithium fire cannot be easily extinguished, and burns HOT.
Break it down chum . LFP is one of the safest. LiPo and LiIon are very safe and stable but when Sanyo pushed the limits it caused problems. Everything burns when it gets hot enough including you. There is a lot of energy stored in some of the bigger batteries but dont taint the whole lot because of one companies greed.

If you join up here LiFePo4,LFP for Boats ,Cars and Houses and go to files on the left side you will get a list of suggested minimum weights for ascending amphour cells in LiFePo4 . Compare these to what you are buying and if under leave it alone . The component that saves them the most is the lithium so if they are skimming the weight will tell you . Applies to Li 18650's as well . They should weigh 44 grams . I have bought some that weighed only 25. Thats what you have to watch for.

That's gotta be the funniest thing I've heard, ever. Thanks for making my night.

Maybe I actually should tell Will....
Is there some rule I am unaware of or universal knowledge that information from Facebook is automatically bogus? Or are you simply trying to be funny?

Is there some rule I am unaware of or universal knowledge that information from Facebook is automatically bogus? Or are you simply trying to be funny?

Yeah it's a new rule. No facebook links. And yes, it's universal knowledge.

Break it down chum . LFP is one of the safest. LiPo and LiIon are very safe and stable but when Sanyo pushed the limits it caused problems. Everything burns when it gets hot enough including you. There is a lot of energy stored in some of the bigger batteries but dont taint the whole lot because of one companies greed.
I agree with @Deno in that cheap cells from an unknown manufacturer can certainly be dangerous. I have gotten counterfeit LiPo cells for RC use that damn near flamed up on me and ballooned under normal use for a pack rated at the stated capacity and size. The old adage that you get what pay for can certainly apply. These batteries weight was proper too, so while underweight is certainly a great indicator of fluff marketing, proper weight is no confirmation that all is well.

Last edited:
These batteries weight was proper too, so while underweight is certainly a great indicator of fluff marketing, proper weight is no confirmation that all is well.

Even legit products from SE Asia etc often have metal bars in them to make it seem like there is more to the product. Avermedia did that with their dark crystal USB HD encoder boxes. Fully functional product, no need to fluff it yet in goes the metal bar.

I have seen photos from a friend where he chopped a suspect lead acid battery in half and found a thick trash metal plate moulded into the bottom of the case. If someone in China can fake something, they will.

Yeah it's a new rule. No facebook links. And yes, it's universal knowledge.
Well I happen to partake in a number of Facebook groups that are closed, as the referenced one is, that are actually well curated and full of knowledge. So your attempt at humor falls flat for me. If you are trying to make a point, well, same result.

Even legit products from SE Asia etc often have metal bars in them to make it seem like there is more to the product. Avermedia did that with their dark crystal USB HD encoder boxes. Fully functional product, no need to fluff it yet in goes the metal bar.

I have seen photos from a friend where he chopped a suspect lead acid battery in half and found a thick trash metal plate moulded into the bottom of the case. If someone in China can fake something, they will.
Yeah, I have a friend who works for the federal government and the bulk of his job is verifying that the stuff they get from china is not full of counterfeit parts. He rejects and awful lot of stuff.

Back