diy solar

diy solar

Long term storage

wme

Solar Enthusiast
OK I know what everyone says for storage, 60-70% and charge every 6 months.
BUT I have a home made solar generator 100ah Lifepo4 and a 700w inverter, it is for medical equipment during power outages. I have this charger...https://www.amazon.com/Lead-Acid-Portable-Maintainer-Desulfator-Motorcycle/dp/B09ZLD6RJ5/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2HHDUX7PT8K8U&keywords=lifepo4+battery+charger+12v&qid=1695833540&sprefix=lifepo4+battery+charger%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-
6&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
Between the battery BMS and this charger on the low amp setting can I leave things plugged in??

Between the battery BMS and this charger on the low amp setting can I leave things plugged in??
The manual does not specify if there is a float voltage for LiFePO4. To me, it suggests that it will "charge" LiFePO4 but not "maintain" (float at a reasonable voltage).
So the question becomes whether the 5A minimum charge holds the battery at 100% charge (bad) or not. You may need to try it to see where it stops charging and the maintained voltage actually is.

You will likely have conflicting goals: maintain a high state of charge/readiness vs. maintaining a storage voltage to preserve battery longevity.

Since it is for medical equipment, it sounds like you should favor high state of charge and ensure YOUR longevity (i'm not a doctor but i'd value my life over my battery's life).

The charger, charges and reaches "full" and stops charging. I'll check resting voltage and may be leave things where they are and put a load on the inverter and see if the charger restarts and at what % of SOC.
Plan B would be an adjustable v power supply set to ?? voltage.
The battery at 100% SOC will run the med equipment for 10 hours, so close to 100% is VERY desirable.
I guess plan C would be a bigger battery;)

The self discharge should be around 2% a month. Is there a reason that you could not charge the battery once every few months?
"Hey Siri, remind me in 2 months to recharge my battery."

I guess plan C would be a bigger battery;)
You get to choose how long your med equipment will run depending on your battery(s) capacities and state of charge.

Reactions: JRH
The battery at 100% SOC will run the med equipment for 10 hours, so close to 100% is VERY desirable.
Have you actually tested this to see or is this a guess? If you're using an inverter, have you factored in the ~15% loss from inverting from DC to AC?

If this is a CPAP, have you checked to see if it will run from a DC power supply (does your power cord have an inverter built into it?)

I have a 12v cord for the CPAP and it does use less power that way. The rest of the mess requires AC, so I have to run the inverter.
The verified run time is 10 hours +. So calculating a 10 run time gives me a warm fuzzy.
A monthly top up seem to be the simplest answer, as you said compared to a hospital visit a battery is cheap

Back